Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2017, 08:14   #1

Thermocouple location for 10K BTU AC

I have had this issue for a long time and decide to try to fix it now. My 10K BTU unit services two aft cabins separated with a partition. First, the cabin (starboard) that has the unit is warmer that the port. I was told to add an air bridge between the cabin to balance/equalize the air mass –not sure I want to drill a 4 in hole thru the partition. The second issue is that the AC unit works until the coils are frozen and stops. I am thinking that it may have something to do with the location of the thermocouple which is placed at the bottom right of the coil, probably sensing more of the heat from the compressor. What is the best location for the thermocouple?
sail50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 08:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Thermocouple location for 10K BTU AC

Only thermocouple I know of is used to tell the AC room temp.
However a coil should never freeze even if run continuously forever. It's most likely either not getting enough air flow through it, or is low on refrigerant. Be sure the filters are not clogged and it has good airflow first, that is usually the problem.

I had a similar problem that I fixed by installing a 6K in the Stateroom, an advantage of a separate small AC is it will run off of a Honda, or the inverter and alternator if the engine is on.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote