Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2020, 12:11   #46

Boat: Island Packet 420
Re: There's a hole in my boat, now what.

The Cape Horn is actually already sold.
blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 06:58   #47

Boat: 1984 Rhodes 22

Good time to learn how to fiberglass. I fixed this, after the hull cracked, let some water in, and it froze over the winter, delaminating the fiberglass. Several layers of epoxy on the outside, numerous layers of polyester on the inside to strengthen the rather thin hull. It has remained fixed for 5 years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	213272   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140707_160344_326.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	213273  

edexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 07:01   #48

Boat: Presently between vessels

Do it the way you know is right. You will be able to match the paint. Get help from the paint shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkerfluid View Post
I appreciate all the ideas, though I'm actually a little surprised at the number of people that don't count the transom as structural. It's true the hole has been there for a while, but up until recently, it had a 3" diameter SS tube fiberglassed into it; which would compensate for the loss of strength due to the missing material. I'd concede that I don't think the hole reduces the strength enough that I'm worried about the transom buckling due to a wave impact; it's still hull structure though.

If I were going to repair it completely, I'd grind the fiberglass skin on the inside and outside of the hull (12:1), then add a piece of coring material (probably divinycell foam because I already have some) before adding the new layers of glass. This may be the way we go anyway because there are lots of screw holes that need to be fixed as well. We won't be able to match the paint color on the transom to the rest of the boat, but we may be able to paint it a nice accent color.

If I don't do that, I liked the idea of adding an engine room vent or cockpit drains. To do that, I'd install a new stainless exhaust outlet with a built in flapper. The stainless would help compensate for the missing material and I wouldn't be worried about it getting knocked out or cracked by a wave like I would with a plastic cover/insert (my concern with the shower idea). With either a vent or a drain I'd run hose vertically directly after the exhaust fitting to make sure any water that makes it past the flapper won't get inside the boat. The thing I like about the vent is that I could also draw hot air out of the compartment our refrigeration compressors are in (Stbd cockpit locker), which might help the fridge run a bit better.

Also, it is a Hoyt staysail boom, so I'll probably be keeping it. I've heard lots of people say pretty much the same thing.. "Staysail booms are useless... unless it's a Hoyt" lol.
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 07:20   #49

Boat: Pearson 10M

it's the patch that has to match the structural integrity of the transom.
This is an off shore boat and there is a very real chance it will experience a breaking wave on the stern.
Out in the middle of the ocean with breaking wave on the transom is no place to find out that you needed your patch to match the structural integrity of the rest of the transom.
You can invent all of the half assed fixes and cover ups you want, but the very real risk is a 3" hole in the transom of your boat being regularly inundated by boarding waves.
Also it's not all that hard to match paint and gel coat colors.
Use epoxy resin for the repair, polyester resin make weak secondary bonds when compared to epoxy. The only reason to use polyester is it cures faster.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 08:05   #50

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

Refit the windvane.
Sell your dink.
Buy a folding dink - you know the brand...
Heck of a lot cheaper, and you keep the windvane - which is a valuable crew member!
Old 20-04-2020, 08:40   #51

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Put in a 3" through hull fitting, with a good backing plate. Screw a pipe cap on the through hull, with teflon tape or plumbers putty on the threads.

Quick, strong, and looks like it belongs.

You might find a use for it later.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 08:52   #52

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432 - Alisee III
Send a message via Skype™ to gcaws

I just did this exact thing. I removed Yves’ CapHorn (made in Oka) about 5 months ago.

I put three layers of glass on the inside to use as backing. This area of the hull is strong so you don’t really need structural strength. This covered up the back of the hole. Then I filled the outside portion with marine tex. It took a number of applications with the marine text. You can also use fibreglass resin with filler. The big thing is to make sure it does not slump. As well you can do three or four layers.

I made sure to tape off the whole outside area so that there was no bleed over. Then I used an orbital sander to polish it smooth. I then applied the appropriate paint.
gcaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 08:55   #53

What is on the inside of the Hole? Would you benefit of a port hole? Additional light in the engine room is always welcome.
rcolesny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 09:11   #54

I doubt the hole is large enough to impinge on structural integrity. Suggest an epoxied wood plug with marine text fairing and an overlay of white gelcoat. You'll be able to tell a difference up close but not at a distance. If its been painted with an awlgrip product the distributor can help you with a color match chart although you'll be buying a lot of paint for a small project.

That being said, do you want to sell your windvane???
Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 10:51   #55

Boat: Alberg 30, Hull #69

What are you doing with the Cap Horn windvane?
AbelCMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 11:18   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Geez guys....Engineer, boatbuilder & circumnavigator. Hole is not a structural compromise, though does need to be made water tight.

Like the SS inspection plate idea.

Also a good place for a freshwater shower - install a quick disconnect on a SS plate (1/2” starboard plug would be fine too), just bring the hose out when you want it.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 11:29   #57

Boat: Hake 32RK

for 16 bucks a 4 inch screw in deck plate
WEST MARINE–4" Screw-in Deck Plate
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 12:08   #58

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauruuru View Post
for 16 bucks a 4 inch screw in deck plate
WEST MARINE–4" Screw-in Deck Plate
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 12:09   #59

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

We have a 45 footer with davits and a windvane. The windvane is intended to be used on long passages only, so the sail and rudder are not installed when the dinghy is needed. We are in the Med and have found the frame for the windvane to be handy for boarding and disembarking when Med-moored. For these reasons I wouldn't discount having a windvane. The davits are very handy and useful, but are not suitable for all sailing conditions. We also have a sta'sl with a boom, and store our dinghy behind the stay when the davits are not an option. In that case, we don't use the sta'sl and stow the boom. It is not a major inconvenience and only one of many compromises we need to deal with.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 12:31   #60

If I could make it fit my cape George 31 I’d install it.
Honu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat