Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 07:52   #1

Boat: Dromor Athena 44
The teak is off the deck, now what?

I am new to the boating world so sorry if this question is pretty basic. My boat has 17 separate teak accent panels mostly in the cockpit and swim platform, see picture to get an idea. The teak was coming up so I have pulled it all up over the past week and sealed the screw holes with epoxy. There were no soft spots or signs of delamination but the fiberglass was wet under some small parts of the gel coat. Is that something that requires more extensive destructive type testing? I pulled up the gel coat wherever it didn't have good adhesion (largest area was ~2.5cm square). I plan to coat each area with epoxy before putting down the Nuteak so it should be water / UV proof but I want to make sure I don't miss my one chance to repair the deck. Am I being paranoid or missing any obvious steps?

And in case you are wondering why the teak that looks OK in the pictures needed to be replaced it is because it was actually glued on top of a layer of sopping wet old teak plywood (with sealent in cut grooves). The old teak was perfectly preserved aside from the fact it was rotten. Actually the boat is designed so the teak is recessed slightly in the deck to give a flush finish once installed. When I bought the boat I did wonder why some teak panels were flush and others were raised above the fiberglass level. Now I know, but I have no idea why a previous owner put teak on top of teak... Oh the adventures of a project boat...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_0085.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	149779  
SpaceRnglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:40   #2

Re: The teak is off the deck, now what?

Well.... I guess you have to figure out if the core is wet in those places where "the fiberglass is wet under the gel coat". It could have just been water sitting under the teak and some loose gel coat here and there. At any rate, dry it out well then carry on with your epoxy and cover.
One simple way to find out is to drill a small hole (1/8-3/16) thru the top layer of glass into the core at any suspect places. Pull the drill out and remove the core material from the twist in the drill bit. Squeeze that between your thumb and forefinger, if wet... water will come out. You can then fill these holes like the others.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 07:20   #3

Boat: Dromor Athena 44
Re: The teak is off the deck, now what?

I tried drilling several areas in the cockpit area and all the core seemed to be dry, as best I could tell. Between that and the fact there are no soft spots I am going to let this slide. I think the water on the fiberglass as just loose gel coat as it wasn't really around the screw holes.

Now the core around the baby stay is a different matter all together. I hope I don't have to cut too much of the deck out in that area.
SpaceRnglr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak