Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2011, 13:47   #16

Boat: Land Locked
Re: The 'Project' List

Don I hope you were touching wood when you said that! Seems a tad like tempting the evil boat gremlins to me!

On a slightly different note - where do you think is the sweet spot for most boats as to age and ironing out the bugs? What I am trying to say is on average (assuming a normal owner who does regular preventative maitenance) between what ages is a typical boat at its best (from a performance and maitenance perspective)? Does it normally take the first two seasons to iron out the production bugs and then typically the next 10 years are pretty good?

Obviously this can vary widely depending on the boat, the owner and the use, but what has your experience been? Maybe I should start a new thread for this one?!?
TomSmith27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 14:35   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSmith27 View Post
Don I hope you were touching wood when you said that! Seems a tad like tempting the evil boat gremlins to me!

On a slightly different note - where do you think is the sweet spot for most boats as to age and ironing out the bugs? What I am trying to say is on average (assuming a normal owner who does regular preventative maitenance) between what ages is a typical boat at its best (from a performance and maitenance perspective)? Does it normally take the first two seasons to iron out the production bugs and then typically the next 10 years are pretty good?

Obviously this can vary widely depending on the boat, the owner and the use, but what has your experience been? Maybe I should start a new thread for this one?!?

I don't believe in that voodoo stuff and have my orginal stockpile of holy water still in it's orginal container to prove it on the boat!

I think the owner is the key in how well a boat ages. I would guess 1-2 seasons shakes out most boat problems and it doesn't matter how good the owner is as long as they get stuff fixed. I would say 10 years is a good age balance with an average owner where between the age and the owner things aren't out of hand. Somewhere around 15-20 years problems with corrosion are expected no matter how great the owner is. After that everything is up for grabs

Not to say a 30 year boat can not be in excellent condition, if it has had the same good owner the whole time. And on the flip I'm sure an idiot can kill a boat in 1-2 years.

I think on my last Cal-39 a lot of the problems were due to the owner aging and maybe not keeping up stuff. That and it seemed anything he install/added was done in a non-impressive way. And it was considered to be in above avergae condition where I got it.
Old 16-11-2011, 16:29   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
My stockpile of parts for projects is about to exceed the storage space available. It really must be time to find the tool box...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 16:43   #19

Boat: Sceptre 41

Del that looks like an amazing amount of technical work. Scares me though with people as talented as you retiring whose going to step up and fill your shoes.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 16:50   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Del that looks like an amazing amount of technical work. Scares me though with people as talented as you retiring whose going to step up and fill your shoes.
At the pace of technology these days we'll all be replaced by robots and it'll the programers doing all the work. They'll still need grunts to tears stuff apart for repairs.

Check this out >>>>