Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2007, 15:21   #1

Boat: C&C 27
The Pocket Knife

Well I'm about to wear out yet another pocket knife and thought the forum might have some useful thoughts on the subject.

For the past thirty years my knife of choice has been the Victorinox Soldier, a simple four tool knife that sees some pretty serious use. In the past I've tried Buck, Case, Gerber, etc. and always returned to the Victorinox.

Please consider that the key thing here is "pocket", as in pocket of my slacks at work, pocket of my shorts on the boat,... you get the picture.

If there was a small knife with a functional blade, screwdriver and shackle key that would be great. Any thoughts??

pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 18:33   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Have a look at these.

Rigging Folders/Large

The original

Search Results

Dave
Old 16-02-2007, 21:49   #3

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I have an l300 and an l377p myerchin as well as a smaller spring assisted kershaw and a spring assisted sog.

The myerchin's are nice knives, the clip on the lightknife isnt as tight as i would like, but the quality of the knife is definetely there. I like the spring assisted knives as an all around pocket knife as it's one hand "blind" opening.

Personally i prefer the zytel handle on the larger knives as it makes for a much lighter setup.

knifeoutlet.com has some great prices and I just recently used them to purchase the l377p, landfallnavigation also carries them, but their prices are a bit more.

Next will be a fixed blade b001p with spike from myerchin I'm going to attach it to my harness!
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 22:51   #4

Boat: HT 26. Currently in Mallorca
Hi all
Just to let you know it's illegal to have a knife with a lockable blade in UK now. Unless you can really prove its required for your work.

Rgds
Old 16-02-2007, 23:38   #5

Oh and my next purchase will be this sucker.... when i have a whole wad of extra cash to throw at it

A. G. Russell™ SeaMaster™ -- A. G. Russell Knives
Old 16-02-2007, 23:39   #6

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
A lot of the spring assisted opening knives are illegal in the states. I would have a double locking knife whan my life depended on it. I have had some close up on me when working with it. Could have been very bad.

I also like a big one vers a small one.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 03:25   #7

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Wow, I can by 27 of these Search Results

for the price of 1 of these A. G. Russell™ SeaMaster™ -- A. G. Russell Knives

Dave
Old 17-02-2007, 04:24   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
What are your typical uses for your pocket knives?

I've carried the Victorinox Spartan for decades and don't know how I would have gotten by without it. I'm constantly using the screwdriver blades. The knife is used for everything from opening packages to cutting line and slicing cheese and apples, and corkscrew gets used on a regular basis. I like the Spartan because it's got the basics without becoming a big wad of metal "thingies" in my pocket.

Onboard, I've got two "Leatherman" multitools hanging about and I keep a Myerchin L377 rigging knife always available and hanging on the inside of the dodger. The marlin spike and shackle wrench are most useful.

Each knife has its function and I keep them near the locations where they are most likely to be needed. For all-round utility in a small package that slips easily and unnoticed into my pocket, the Victorinox Spartan has served me well.

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 04:31   #9
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Raven
How good is the light on the L377 Is it usefull ?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 04:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram
Raven
How good is the light on the L377 Is it usefull ?
It puts out a good amound of light - a single LED mounted at the end of the handle - similar to the LED's that are built into some cell phones, but red. Myself, I always forget that the knife has a light in it and have rarely used it. Like all electronics in a highly corrosive environment its longevity might also be suspect.
Old 17-02-2007, 05:43   #11

Boat: C&C 27
The Soldier is much like the Spartan but without the corkscrew and small blade, the awl is there instead. Also it is missing the lanyard ring which is both a blessing and a curse. It would be really nice if Victorinox made this knife with a shackle key instead of an awl or bottle opener. Constant uses are peeling fruit, cutting bread, opening cartons, it gets more use as a screwdriver than my screwdrivers do, cutting strapping and cordage, cleaning up woodwork, trimming the insulation from wire, opening chemical bottles... in fact the main reason this one needs to be replaced is I opened a bottle of sulfuric acid and got some on the blade. It is amazing how well the can opener blade fits phillips head screws.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 06:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida
The Soldier is much like the Spartan but without the corkscrew and small blade, the awl is there instead.
A couple years ago a friend of mine asked me to a gathering/barbeque with about 50 family and friends in attendance at her dad's place. I didn't know a soul and I was nervous as I walked up the driveway amid all the cars. I stepped out onto the back patio, quickly scanning all the faces, hoping to find the one I knew. Not seeing Tania in the mix, my instincts led me to the food table. (Admittedly, I'm shy in those sorts of situations.) When I got to the food table, there were a number of folks standing around the end that had been filled with all the wine that guests had brought to the party. The only problem was the lack of a corkscrew! Empty glasses were in hand as the crowd contemplated how they might get the bottles open. I walked over with my trusty Victorinox Spartan and began pulling corks and pouring wine. It turned into the perfect opportunity to introduce myself!

Survival has many faces. That evening, I was saved by my corkscrew!
Old 17-02-2007, 06:16   #13

These are also supposed to be really good, but i have no personal experience with them. Boye Knives again, quite pricey.

All in all you can't beat the myerchin's for price vs value, knife outlet has them for $50 and yea you can buy 5 cheapies for that price, but most of the time cheapies don't hold up well in the harsher of environments and I don't want a knife that's rusted solid or won't cut through something when i need it most.
Old 18-02-2007, 10:36   #14

I have a rigging knife that I use when I need a "knife", and then in the cockpit I have a set of crappy pliers and a bicycle multi-tool consisting of some allen wrenches, and a crosshead and flathead screwdriver. I spray WD-40 on them a lot.

The crummy pliers are good because you can pick them up cheap at gas stations, they rust as fast as the expensive ones, and often you need "actual" pliers instead of whatever a multi tool offers up.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 12:52   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A Question

In the 1800's, my great-great-grandfather was given a classic pocketknife that he treasured. He used it all of the time, and took care to maintain it well. He handed it down to his eldest son, and he to his, and so on . . . until today my son has it.

We all have taken great care of it, but we've all used it almost daily as well. As with all things made by man, parts of the knife wore out, or broke, and had to be replaced over time. By the time my son was given the knife, only one piece of it was original, and finally, that too had to be replaced.

So here's the question. Is the pocketknife my son owns the same one my great-great-grandfather was given so many years ago, and, if it isn't, at what point did it become a different knife?

TaoJones