Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 18:57   #16

Boat: Endeavour E40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
That makes sense Chuck, but in my case I have a useable large pilothouse for miserable conditions.
Also here in the Philippines because of so many unlit fishing drums, we tend to avoid overnight passages. Daylight temperature outside is the beast, so that is why I thought the shade/privacy cloth might pass the breeze yet give shade
I'm not familiar with a shade/privacy cloth... what is that ?
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 19:03   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I found it being used alot in Australia. Many types and weavings that block sun yet let air pass thru.

This is just one example Products, Aussie Shade Solutions - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 05:30   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I'm not familiar with a shade/privacy cloth... what is that
Its'a tough material that has small holes in it. It block a fair amount of sun but passes the breeze through. Not as fine or fragile as screen material and bloclks more sun.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 06:18   #19

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
I have made both awnings and most recently side curtains with shade cloth... both worked better than expected. Australians make great shade cloth in several colors and and densities. I used the tightest weave which blocks 90% of the sun and I reckon 99% of rain.

The side curtains are fixed to our hard bimini with plastic bolt rope extrusions screwed under the edge of all four sides and were made wide enough to either clip diagonally out onto our lifelines OR vertically along the cockpit coamings.

The best part was the final touch when I made permanent Sunbrella "socks" for each section (sandwiched between the length of bolt rope extrusions) which allow the shade cloth sections to be rolled-up and stowed in place. Shade is always at the ready and can be rigged around the cockpit in less than a minute. The socks close in a jiffy with sun protected velcro.

We live aboard in the tropics and this enclosure is not rain-proof... but we do stay dry and comfortable in anything but hard driving, monsoonal rains. I will soon work-out a way to catch & filter rain with the shade curtains, too.

Send a PM for any details you may wish to know.

To Life!

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 06:34   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Thanks Kirk, that is exactly what I hoped to hear.

Nick
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 07:09   #21

Boat: Catalina 30
Here is a link to Sailrite's "clear window" products. Search Results
They show Plastipane, Strataglass, Crystal Clear, Monfilm, and Kal Glas.
Which one is what most commercial canvas makers use for dodger/bimini windows if the customer does not otherwise specify?

On a lighter side, remember the lyrics to the song "surrey with the fringe on top" from "Oklahoma!"
"The wheels are yeller, the upholstery's brown,
The dashboard's genuine leather,
With isinglass curtains y' can roll right down,
In case there's a change in the weather. "
Moonchaser2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 07:55   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you want to roll up side curtains and store them do not get 40 gauge but instead go 30 gauge. For a dodger I would go for the extra strength and go 40 gauge. Strataglass curtains do fine at 30 gauge for rolling but normally I would not use it unless you kept it up all the time. The selling point for it is the extra long life and clarity so if you are going to store the sections most of the time don't bother. My last boat has a full enclosure that was 15 years old. The 9 enclosure panels look brand new because they were not on most of the time. The dodger is showing it's age. The enclose was 40 gauge and you could not roll them but could fold then in the short direction in half then stack them. This was all before Strataglass so it was about as good as you could buy back in 1992.

If you go the sailrite link above you can get an idea of the cost difference. (You can buy it cheaper other places). If you don't say what and you want a cheap bid you can guess what you will get - whatever is cheaper. It's worth it to have the conversation about gauge and materials as well as type of construction. It's easy to get a cheap job that won't last long. It's hard work making quality canvas. It's not the same so one low bid may not be the same job as a higher bid. You need to sort all that out with whoever you choose to make your stuff.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 19:59   #23

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49
Rainier Glass

Our canvas maker has suggest Rainier for our dodger and I really like the clarity. It can`t be rolled up so it will snap underneath the dodger.

We had Strataglass on our recent boat on the dodger and full cockpit enclosure--it is a nuisance to care for. I am very fussy but don`t feel like always cleaning and polishing it, although I always rinsed it after sailing. It is probably clearer than regular plexiglass after a few years, but I am hoping that this will be better. Anyone with experience with Rainier since I am about ready to order it.

Thanks.
jayncee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 20:49   #24

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
Pelagic!
Would you please post some pictures of your hard top . I'm in a process of making one and looking for ideas .
Regards
Henryk
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger