Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2017, 18:06   #46

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'
Re: Testing Pawl Oil For Winches

Hi Thinwater. I've been involved in designing and building high precision machinery for decades. At one time we built close to 200 very close tolerance systems which would go out into the field for a year or two and then be returned for rework. I noticed very early on that many conventional lubricants dried out - meaning that the lubricating oil evaporated - quite rapidly. So I began an experimental series, using different lubricants and gauging them by their condition when returned. Because our systems were mostly used in clean rooms I also had some lubricants tested for vapor pressure. The simple take away was that synthetic lubricants - both oils and greases (greases are just oils thickened by adding a thickening agent) were far superior. They showed notably lower vapor pressures than conventional oils and as vapor pressure is a direct measurement of evaporation rate of course they lasted longer.

My suggestion to you is to take a sheet of metal, establish a way to wipe oil samples onto it that is as uniform as possible, and wipe a variety of different oil samples onto the sheet. Label them, put them into an environment you feel is appropriate, and observe what happens. I think you will find the results very interesting. In my opinion the oil which stays longest on the surface will be the best oil for this job.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 19:48   #47
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Try post #15
Hmm... to my simple mind, that product appears to be for drive chains and similar and not at all for a chainsaw chain and bar lube but perhaps I'm out of touch with the modern practices...

Anyway as it is not directly related to this fine thread, I'm happy to accept that you might use it for a chainsaw - I'll stick to the old stuff.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 19:53   #48
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

@Thinwater, thanks for planning to do this testing. I can appreciate the amount of work involved (and also realise the rewards will not be monetary ).

It will be good to see the results, especially as it will independent of pecuniary interests.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 20:31   #49
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
Hi Thinwater. I've been involved in designing and building high precision machinery for decades. At one time we built close to 200 very close tolerance systems which would go out into the field for a year or two and then be returned for rework. I noticed very early on that many conventional lubricants dried out - meaning that the lubricating oil evaporated - quite rapidly. So I began an experimental series, using different lubricants and gauging them by their condition when returned. Because our systems were mostly used in clean rooms I also had some lubricants tested for vapor pressure. The simple take away was that synthetic lubricants - both oils and greases (greases are just oils thickened by adding a thickening agent) were far superior. They showed notably lower vapor pressures than conventional oils and as vapor pressure is a direct measurement of evaporation rate of course they lasted longer.

My suggestion to you is to take a sheet of metal, establish a way to wipe oil samples onto it that is as uniform as possible, and wipe a variety of different oil samples onto the sheet. Label them, put them into an environment you feel is appropriate, and observe what happens. I think you will find the results very interesting. In my opinion the oil which stays longest on the surface will be the best oil for this job.
Yes to all of that. Specifically, the low volatility requirement is key.
Old 22-12-2017, 21:39   #50

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... to my simple mind, that product appears to be for drive chains and similar and not at all for a chainsaw chain and bar lube but perhaps I'm out of touch with the modern practices...

Anyway as it is not directly related to this fine thread, I'm happy to accept that you might use it for a chainsaw - I'll stick to the old stuff.
I have never owned or used or lubricated a chainsaw in my life. I use the stuff for my boat bicycle chain and it works very well too. If you want an oil that will last longer on winch pawls than machine oil then this is the stuff for you.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 05:22   #51

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
[*]I would like to come up with a test for function, perhaps based on opening up an old winch so that the function of the pawls is visible. Cutting a new winch in half would be... troubling. This test could be run on both new and artificially aged lubricants.
Could you rig up some gudgeon and pintle assembly with a light spring where you could measure the force required to deflect an arm? Would allow you to test lubricity in a largely analogous application.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 10:30   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I have never owned or used or lubricated a chainsaw in my life. I use the stuff for my boat bicycle chain and it works very well too. If you want an oil that will last longer on winch pawls than machine oil then this is the stuff for you.
Although chain saw oil needs some cling to avoid slinging off at 8,000 rpm, it also needs to dissolve rosin. Thus, you have to keep flushing a certain amount through. So nothing will be permanent.
Old 24-12-2017, 22:21   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I found synthetic lubricants lasted way longer on my rifle whilst hunting in wet conditions but cant remember the names. Had trouble with winch pawls sticking after 2 years using synthetic grease. Just done them with synthetic engine oil as a trial but only been done maybe 1 month
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 09:00   #54

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

I recommend Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Oil. Very low vapor pressure, (I certified it for clean room use), very good corrosion resistance. This is a light oil well suited for use on pawls.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 10:29   #55

One factor may be that just as oils come in many weights, so dies grease, only it's not labeled that way. The grease products I have found that are used for pawls (winches and bicycles) are very much on the thin side.

For example, Anderson recommends grease, but it is a much lighter grease (I have samples of all of the marine winch greases).

I've used syn grease on pawls for 20 years without trouble (and I sail in the winter too!), and yet some have trouble. Obviously something is different, since both experiences are true. I will say that I use very little grease, much less than on gears and bearings. Just what you can wipe on and back off.
Old 27-12-2017, 10:42   #56

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

I use K-Y gel. Has worked really well so far...

...Oh you said winch, thought you said wench.
Old 27-12-2017, 20:31   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
I recommend Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Oil. Very low vapor pressure, (I certified it for clean room use), very good corrosion resistance. This is a light oil well suited for use on pawls.
Yea that was the stuff I couldnt remember.Thanks for jogging the memory
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, winch