Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2017, 09:38   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Testing Pawl Oil For Winches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
I last used lithium grease, but will reconsider now. Will be interested in what your test reveals. I have some lube made for an M-16, but I suspect it is lithium.

Many years ago different weights of oil was specified based on outside temperature for military rifles, than sometime I think in the 80’s we went to something called CLP, or “Break Free” the CLP stood for Clean, Lubricate, Protects.
It is I think a solvent with powdered Teflon in suspension with an oil base. I think the solvent cleans, then evaporates leaving the Teflon to lube and the oil to protect.
It may be an excellent pawl oil as it really does clean, lubricant and protect and does not thicken or wax up under any conditions.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...ntative-liquid
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 10:24   #32

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Testing Pawl Oil For Winches

I have had good success lubing winch pawls with Harken One Drop lubricant. [Using a scant 'drop' on each...]

I know winches were not the original intent for the product, but it seems to last [years- about as long as the Green grease I use on the rest of the winch...] And it works well in cooler temperatures. [It is 22°F this morning, and I clearly hear the double-clicks of the pawls in my primary winches- which were last cleaned and lubed over 2 years ago...]

Unrelated, I have also had good success using One Drop on static sail slides.

In case you would like to give it a go in your testing.

Cheers! Bill
Old 22-12-2017, 11:27   #33

Boat: O'Day 40

Since we're talking lubrication, how does moly-sulfide stand up in the marine environment. Back in the day it was the "secret" bearing lube in class car racing. I ask because I still have a half dozen cartridges of it.
Old 22-12-2017, 12:33   #34
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Since we're talking lubrication, how does moly-sulfide stand up in the marine environment. Back in the day it was the "secret" bearing lube in class car racing. I ask because I still have a half dozen cartridges of it.
It does not play well with seawater.
Old 22-12-2017, 12:51   #35

Boat: Valiant 40

I'd be interested in you testing Lubriplate 130-AA for the simple fact that I have a ton of it and use it for everything lol.

It's what MaxProp recommends and sells for their props, so I'm expecting it's performance in salt water to be pretty good.

I use it to lube my winches, but use 3-in-1 for the pawls. The viscosity of the Lubriplate is low enough that I think it would be effective on the pawls, I've just used the 3-in-1 out of habit. I clean my winches every year and have not noticed any issues with the 3-in-1, but if your testing reveals a better product I'd be all over it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 13:10   #36

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I'd add Tri-Flow oil and Tri-flow grease to the list.

https://www.triflowlubricants.com/pr...nt-drip-bottle
https://www.triflowlubricants.com/pr...nthetic-grease
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 13:15   #37

Thanks for all the great ideas, guys. I will be working on something, probably for Practical Sailor, but I always share a few spoilers!

I will be testing for...
  • Wash off.
  • Oxidation stability. The concern here is sticking and aging.
  • Corrosion. When there is salt around, this tends to be very closely related to wear, even if the corrosion is nearly invisible, just a pattena. The pattena layer is wear-prone.
  • I would like to come up with a test for function, perhaps based on opening up an old winch so that the function of the pawls is visible. Cutting a new winch in half would be... troubling. This test could be run on both new and artificially aged lubricants.
That's a bunch of work. Oh, what we will do for love, cus' it sure aint' the paycheck.
Old 22-12-2017, 13:48   #38

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Lanolin?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 14:43   #39

Boat: Able 50

Lanocote works very well on winches. If you want to use it on pawls then the spray bottle would be the thing to use.

http://www.forespar.com/product431.html
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 15:04   #40

Boat: Catalina 387

I'd second A64's recommendation to try CLP. I take very poor care of the things I use CLP on and it seems to last for years doing the lubrication thing it's supposed to.

I need to do my winches... Maybe I'll try it.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 15:08   #41

Thanks for doing this test. I've used 3 in 1 oil for 40 years but always feel stupid doing so. The stuff washes off - and quickly. It's a 19th century solution from when grease was really, really sticky.

I'm rooting for Sailcote. I use it a lot because it just doesn't wash off. I find it works best if you spray it, let it dry and then rub with a cloth to polish before re-assembling. But never tried it on pawls.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 16:00   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I will be testing...
  • Harken pawl oil
  • Lewmar pawl oil
... for corrosion, wash-off, and oxidation stability.

But while I'm at it, what else would be worth testing?
  • Passenger car motor oil, if only to confirm it washes off too fast.
  • Several bicycle chain oils.
  • Chain saw bar oil.
  • Lower unit oil. This is too thick (manufacturers generally spec 100-150 ISO), but I'm curious just as a comparison point.
  • Other?
I'm open to suggestions. The problem, as I see it, is that manufacturers recommend servicing winches 1-5 times per season, which just sn't going to happen for most people. Modern greases can easily go 5 years, for most people, but the oil can't, and as a result, the pawls and their seats go first. Certainly there must be modern lubricants capable of longer intervals?
-Lubriplate (it's all I ever used, but then I was lead that way by millrights and toolmakers!)
-White lithium grease?

I am a Lanolin/Lanocote addict, but I dont use it on winches. It's quite sticky if it's cold out. Over time it crusts up, especially with any UV exposure. I tried it once and the pawls would not work consistently when cold. I did like it on turnbuckle screws to keep water out, and on tapered type seacocks. But even on the seacocks, in cold water they will be hard to turn. But worth it for me.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 16:37   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Lanocote works very well on winches. If you want to use it on pawls then the spray bottle would be the thing to use.

LanoCote® Pump Spray Bottle 8oz
Lanolin has relatively poor oxidation stability and thickens over time when exposed to air. While I love it for some things, particularly places where it is between surfaces, like a valve or threads exposed to a lot of water, winches, where is is constantly exposed to air, are a poor application and pawls are out of the question.

Lanolin is NOT a gear lube. It is also not good for parts that move at significant speeds. It was a gear lube 100 years ago.
Old 22-12-2017, 17:30   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade 36

I've used Boeshield T-9 with success on my Enkes winch pawls. Basically a parafifn wax in a solvent carrier. See: https://boeshield.com/marine/
You might add that to the test list....
Tugwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 17:46   #45

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

Hey Guys,

When all else fails, use “bear” grease, waterproofs and lubricates or 3GP3 in a pinch. Every boatie should have a jar. LOL. I know, get serious!!
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, winch