Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 08:15   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Temporary Hatch covers

I need to take off 3 hatches and send them in for repair. These are GOITT hatches - one is 14x19 and the other 2 are 12x17 inches. This is going to take a few weeks, so I need to cover the holes in some way. The boat is on the hard.

For a number of reasons I can't place a tarp over the boat, so I'm stuck to covering the hatch holes themselves.

Any suggestions on how best to cover the hatches to keep rain/snow out?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 08:29   #2

Re: Temporary Hatch covers

Are you just taking off the moveable "lids" or the whole frame? I guess if you are removing the frames, I would likely cut plywood and screw it down maybe 4 places into the area where the bolt holes already are. Dab sealant on your open holes from the bolts etc, you don't want water egress into the core. Maybe use cheap foam weatherstripping between the ply and fiberglass on the upper rim formed fiberglass riser?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 08:39   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

When I have taken my hatch lids off for repair I've just cut a piece of 1/4" plywood to size, covered with 4 mil plastic with overhang, and run a bungee cord around it the frame lip (Lewmar Superhatch).

Depending on your hatch type you can do similar. You might not have to screw it down, just put weights around the plastic if there is no frame lip to affix it to.

It really boils down to how water flows off that area on your boat and what kind of wind you want it to be able to weather. It does not need to be pretty or neat of course, lol.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 10:18   #4

Boat: Endurance 35,1981

Hi Dmksails,

I have Goitt hatches as well where are you sending them for repair ? I'm in need of some spare parts as well ?

Thanks
Madrugada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch