Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2014, 08:35   #1

Boat: Grampian 28
Temp fix for leaking through-deck fittings

Bought a boat 18 months ago. A solid boat but there were numerous leaks at the fixed portlights and at most through-deck hardware (stanchion bases, chainplate, etc.). I replaced the portlights and they're good, and was planning to next attack the through-deck leaks with the full-fix (remove hardware/extract wet core/epoxy holes/drill new holes/rebed). However, just bought another boat (with no leaks!) and planning to sell the current boat as quickly as possible.

My question: Are there any decent caulks/sealants I could use to use to temporarily stop the leaks, yet are reasonably easy to remove if/when the new owner wants to tackle the full-rebedding project?

Thanks,
Michael
voxxmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:56   #2

Boat: Newport 28
Re: Temp fix for leaking through-deck fittings

Butyl Tape would be best, if you're able to apply it (depending on your fittings, etc). It's also removable with some elbow grease if needed, but seals excellently.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:18   #3

Re: Temp fix for leaking through-deck fittings

There a product called "creeping crack cure" or something like that, which surprisingly works pretty well...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck