Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 19:05   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Re: Teak- What To Do?

Dave what kind of oil do you use?
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 20:24   #32

Boat: Valiant 40

Minaret was singing the praises of Awlwood recently It's a two part (primer then topcoat) application that is touted to last 10 years. He says a boat they did recently looks great after three years in a climate that is not usually friendly to varnish.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 21:53   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A different approach, which will protect the teak, and be something you can come back from, because, especially newer teak does age.

Make it clean and dry. Varnish it one last time, two coats is enough, then paint over it with silver grey hull paint. It will then be maintenance free for quite a while, depends on the quality of the hull paint, five to ten years.

All it takes is a heat gun and scraper to get it back to varnish, if and when you want to make it spiffy for sale or ???

Ann
Old 21-03-2017, 06:24   #34

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

There are many pricey "teak oils" out there but I use linseed oil. I use the denatured type but cannot remember if somebody suggest it or is was just what I grabbed. Try to find a quart container because a gallon will last for many years. Maybe so other reader can say if teak oil looks better. My teak gets a very a dark, almost black, brown after a month or so.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:00   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Occasionally wash the teak with clean sea water and a very soft brush. Do not scrub as that removes the softer particles of the grain.

If very dirty, use a mild detergent in fresh water.

Learn to enjoy the beautiful grey look.

The teak will love you for the washings. No oils, varnishes or paints required unless you can't accept the grey look.
Indeed.

Previous boat, maintained mostly by my dad -- varnished teak caprail and brightwork. It was a lot of work to keep up. One of the most time-consuming maintenance jobs on board.

Current boat: raw teak decks, cap rail, and woodwork above deck. Very little maintenance -- buckets of sea water, and the occasional soft brush scrub (N.B. across grain only!!).

It's a matter of taste, but FWIW, I just love the "beautiful gray look" and immensely prefer the raw teak look, to the varnished look. I think raw teak is just beautiful, natural, naturally anti-slip, and amazingly durable if you don't scrub it the wrong way. It will even throw off a spill of used motor oil -- something I expected would ruin it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:21   #36
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

What you do with teak is dictated by the climate you keep the boat in. In temperate climates, like Europe, you can keep the natural grey look forever. In the tropics, not so much. Only if your teak deck is 1" thick like in the old days, it can keep the natural oils inside in the tropics. Any modern teak needs help in the tropics, i.e. oil it every 6 months or slowly loose it. Look at all those boats taking the teak decks off: tropics, not enough maintenance.
I'm not expert as my boat is "plastic fantastic" but a shipwright showed me his boats to compare with customers' boats. Even boats that oiled the teak only once a year didn't make it.

Oiling teak isn't that much work. Varnishing any wood in the tropics is futile, no matter what product you use. Only opaque paints stand a chance when it's labeled Awlgrip or similar. Keep the varnish in the interior of the boat.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:29   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
What you do with teak is dictated by the climate you keep the boat in. In temperate climates, like Europe, you can keep the natural grey look forever. In the tropics, not so much. Only if your teak deck is 1" thick like in the old days, it can keep the natural oils inside in the tropics. Any modern teak needs help in the tropics, i.e. oil it every 6 months or slowly loose it. Look at all those boats taking the teak decks off: tropics, not enough maintenance.
I'm not expert as my boat is "plastic fantastic" but a shipwright showed me his boats to compare with customers' boats. Even boats that oiled the teak only once a year didn't make it.

Oiling teak isn't that much work. Varnishing any wood in the tropics is futile, no matter what product you use. Only opaque paints stand a chance when it's labeled Awlgrip or similar. Keep the varnish in the interior of the boat.
Yeah, that's a good point.

All bets are off in the tropics. Best thing to do with teak there is probably rip it out or awlgrip it white.

Yet another reason why I prefer higher latitudes.
Old 21-03-2017, 09:20   #38

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
. It will even throw off a spill of used motor oil -- something I expected would ruin it.
One time I knocked over a can of epoxy hardener and didn't realize it. I sopped up what I could, dabbed with thinner, but it looked awful. I thought, "now THIS is a stain that I'll never recover from." I was convinced I had managed to get the worst possible material smeared into my deck.

Totally gone after a month or so in the weather.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:51   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

friend of mine went round the wet part of the planet after painting his teakwood blue. all of it.
if you have n o idea how to treat the wood, paint it and leave it alone.
or buy a plastic boat and remove all traces of it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 11:23   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
One time I knocked over a can of epoxy hardener and didn't realize it. I sopped up what I could, dabbed with thinner, but it looked awful. I thought, "now THIS is a stain that I'll never recover from." I was convinced I had managed to get the worst possible material smeared into my deck.

Totally gone after a month or so in the weather.
Ha, ha. Same story as mine. Very dirty diesel motor oil is full of carbon black -- a thing used as a pigment. I thought -- this part of the deck is history.

But same story as yours. I cleaned it up a bit with some diatomaceous earth and white spirits, and the rest just disappeared. Like totally -- you can't tell anything ever happened, in that spot.

Teak is a pretty miraculous material.
Old 21-03-2017, 12:06   #41

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
There are many pricey "teak oils" out there but I use linseed oil. I use the denatured type but cannot remember if somebody suggest it or is was just what I grabbed. Try to find a quart container because a gallon will last for many years. Maybe so other reader can say if teak oil looks better. My teak gets a very a dark, almost black, brown after a month or so.
I have always suspected the high priced teak oils were no more than high priced boiled linseed.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 16:42   #42

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have used snappy teak. It is awesome! Brings the color right back. And...it's easy. It's a two part thing, it works fast. Just google snappy teak. Got it shipped through Amazon.com.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 01:02   #43

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
My boat has a considerable amount of teak topside that i do not want to go through the headaches and work of maintaining with varnish etc-- looks GREAT when done that way but i dont want the headache of the continual work that it entails-- i have gotten most of the varnish off and am fine with the weathered grey look that has resulted- what if anything should i put on the teak to keep it viable? Again i am absolutely not interested in the varnish every two years program- it looks super but i have too many other things to do getting the boat ready to cruise and don't want to put the time and resources into a cosmetic item. Thanks in advance
If you want a natural new look, then Semco - lasts very well, and you just apply another coat once a year. We do the entire teak decks and toerail on a 50 footer in just a couple of hours a year. The alternative it to let it weather and wear away, then spend a lot of money.

If you want a 'varnished' look without the work, then Sikkens Cetol Marine (recently changed to Woodskin). It is best described as an 'oil-varnish' which means it looks and smells like varnish when you apply it, but it does not degrade to flake off. Instead, over a few years (literally - about three years in our case) it slowly erodes away like an oil (but much more slowly) until you realise another quick coat is needed to restore the depth of finish. No flaking or having to scrape off old coatings before applying new with either the Semco or Cetol product.

Hope that helps,
David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak