Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 09:42   #16

Boat: Endurance 35,1981
Re: Teak- What To Do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	143554Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1454.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	143555Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	143556

I've taken all the teak of my Endurance 35 except for the coach house roof..now no more maintenance of teak, did it all myself !!!
Madrugada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 09:55   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
My boat has a considerable amount of teak topside that i do not want to go through the headaches and work of maintaining with varnish etc-- looks GREAT when done that way but i dont want the headache of the continual work that it entails-- i have gotten most of the varnish off and am fine with the weathered grey look that has resulted- what if anything should i put on the teak to keep it viable? Again i am absolutely not interested in the varnish every two years program- it looks super but i have too many other things to do getting the boat ready to cruise and don't want to put the time and resources into a cosmetic item. Thanks in advance
Teak is not to be varnished. It is an oily wood. Keep it oiled or get rid of it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 09:55   #18

Sea Water and scotch brite pad now and then. Most oils will just grow stuff.... especially if you are in damp environments.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 10:38   #19

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger

Since I am also a beekeeper, we just mix some beeswax with turpentine to make a polish. We wipe the grab rails etc with it a couple of times a year. Perfect, lovely grey colour which I hope helps to preserve the teak since it has had too much sandpaper in the past.

Hope that helps. It is very easy to do and worth trying, especially before you buy anything expensive which isn't made from natural ingredients.

Well, you probably know where beeswax comes from ... and turpentine is a natural solvent distilled from live pine tree resin. All very environmentally friendly!
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 10:41   #20

Boat: Gozzard Cutter 31'

In a discussion of this same issue with other Gozzard owners, I have been hearing positive comments about using Cetol on specific problem areas where teak is installed, particularly cockpit soles and bowsprit platforms. I know that in the past there were concerns that Cetol created an orange coloring, but newer products seem to have resolved this issue. Any comments from actual users?
Old 20-03-2017, 11:23   #21

I used Deks Olje oil on teak, mahogany and long leaf yellow pine on my 1924 Alden schooner and it was beautiful with practically no maintenance. Only use part one that gives a satin sheen and if it starts to wear just slop on some more. it will blend in right away. Tape any surrounding areas and just soak it on with a brush or rag. I also used it on my two sitka spruce masts, went up in a bosun's chair, wrapped a rag soaked with the stuff around the mast and slowly let down, keeping the rag wet. When I got to the bottom the job was done, just walked away, I've seen it used on hulls of wooden boats so it doesn't wash off like other oils. It makes the joints waterproof and looks great. I put it on about twice a year and it only took one day to do the entire 72 foot wooden boat and it was well worth it. The weathered look is best on a barn.
Jeff Skelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 11:30   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Sea Water and scotch brite pad now and then. Most oils will just grow stuff.... especially if you are in damp environments.
is so funny to read this...i am in TROPICS and nothing grows onm y wood. is rinsed with sea water regularly and oiled once annually, just before cane season, which i get to experience in full bloom. the fringes of these awesome storms keep all fresh water soaked for 6 months. no mold. wonder if it is technique.....i use the laziest method. 3m pad sea water and paintbrush of oil to wood. 10 hours annually.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 11:37   #23

The "natural" progression of "dealing with exterior teak" usually runs like this:

--- teak oil

or

--- Nothing

--- varnish

--- cetol

--- nothing

---teak oil or Semco

--- nothing

--- varnish

--- cetol

Repeat as necessary...

Nothing much has changed in the last 25 years about this subject...

We removed all the varnish from our boat when we bought her in 1998, replaced with cetol. A few years ago I cleaned the cetol off the eyebrows and forward of the dodger. Left the cetol in the cockpit.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 13:21   #24

Well, guess that I'll be villified for what I did: all exterior teak cleaned, then application of penetrating epoxy and then awlgripped white. Six years and still looks new. No maintenance and looks great, even if not traditional. I know, I know, I'm a very bad man.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 13:29   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
Well, guess that I'll be villified for what I did: all exterior teak cleaned, then application of penetrating epoxy and then awlgripped white. Six years and still looks new. No maintenance and looks great, even if not traditional. I know, I know, I'm a very bad man.
No sensible.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:42   #26

Boat: Kompier Kotter 44

I'm with Jeff Skalley on this. Despite almost every post above you will need to protect the teak. Doing nothing will result in major deterioration. If you have a teak deck over a steel hull then you will lose the steel as well. Same for ply. Glues and joinery are especially vulnerable. After 30 years your boat will be beyond repair. I don't like the grey look so I wash with oxalic acid, brings the beautiful colour back right away. Any natural oils will be long gone so ignore the nay-sayers on this. Soak with Deks Olja Number 1 for at least 4 hours, after which dry off pooling. For an almost varnished look apply a few coats of Deks Olja Number 2. Every 6 to 12 months lightly rub with a scourer and apply more Deks Olja. It's a quick and easy job. Cheap too compared with the alternatives. And immensely satisfying. Unlike varnish Deks Olja breaks down from above and applying new to old melds almost imperceptibly.

If you do decide to paint, then be sure to make the first coat a light tan or brown- the next owner will thank you for that.
Kudawudashuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 15:07   #27

If you still want to give the natural grey look a try, it will look much better if there's no mildew or dirt in the grain. This cleaner from the company that makes super yacht teak decks makes teak a very light silvery grey with little work. Just wipe on with a soft brush or textured microfiber cloth then rinse really well.

The World's Leader in Pre-Manufactured Custom Teak Decks - Teakdecking Systems®
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 15:11   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudawudashuda View Post

If you do decide to paint, then be sure to make the first coat a light tan or brown- the next owner will thank you for that.
I gotta agree with this ^^.

In fact I would suggest varnish first, then paint (tan / brown), then top coat with colour of choice (white?).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 16:44   #29

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Squander Bucks is 50 yrs old and the first owners didn't do anything for the teak for the first 25 years. The teak dried out and lost about 20-25% of it's thickness in some of the more exposed areas like the forward section and the wood split a little in a few areas. Also there has been some bowing or cupping of the boards. For the years that I have had her I went to a routine of painting with Sickens ( opaque varnish like ) that is pretty UV stable. Did that for 15 yrs about every 3 years. If you lightly go over it and the recoat it you can get by without total strip and just paint with a single cover coat and get by for another couple of years.
Due to the couple of cracks and trying to reduce any further material loss I stripped it this year, put two coats of epoxy on it and then two coats of the Sickens. Hopefully, that will keep it stable and not have to be stripped to bare again. Oh yeah I then caulked along both sides of the teak to close up the slight to moderate gaps that have built up from the cupping. Chris Craft did not caulk it when new as it fit tightly to the deck. What do we have to expect for 50 years out in the elements. I think she was beyond staying "natural" when I got her.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 17:17   #30

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Paint with oil every 3 months or so. Will give you a dark look rather then weathered gray and will protect the wood. I apply heavy coat, rub in with rag and repeat for 3 days. Fairly easy job. Keep water close to wash off any drips, masking not necessary.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak