Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Exterior brightwork - what is the best combo of beauty/maintenance
Epoxy to seal, varnish for UV 1 14.29%
Straight varnish 3 42.86%
Awlwood 0 0%
Brightener / Oil (have like 30 bottles of this in his garage) 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2021, 15:24   #1

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Teak handrails and rigging blocks - what finish

The teak on my late-Dad's boat is in need of some love. It was neglected while he battled cancer and now the varnish on the handrails has fully lifted. On the helm of my Whaler I used epoxy to seal prior to 8 coats of varnish. It looks fantastic and has held up great for the past 5 years but it also spends 97% of its time in a garage. I'm wondering what the best solution is for these handrails that are exposed to the environment:
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 15:47   #2

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Re: Teak handrails and rigging blocks - what finish

First step- suncovers. If you keep them covered, they will stay good. Otherwise, in Florida, all is lost sooner or later.
Straight varnish for me. Epoxy has poor UV tolerance and is hard to strip when it goes bad- and it will eventually.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 17:38   #3

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
First step- suncovers. If you keep them covered, they will stay good. Otherwise, in Florida, all is lost sooner or later.
Straight varnish for me. Epoxy has poor UV tolerance and is hard to strip when it goes bad- and it will eventually.
This: realize that absent, covers/sun protection, u will need to add 1 or 2 coats every 6-12 months (as well as repairing any dings immediately.) I’m an Epiphanes fan personally but any good quality varnish works.

That said, if u aren’t willing or disposed to keeping up the brightwork semi annually, just let it go gray, brush with a SOFT brush across the grain with sea water as needed. Teak doesn’t need finishing, it’s just for appearance
Flatswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 17:47   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Thumbs Up has 13 double loop teak grabrails. I painted them all with Awlgrip (Matterhorn white) to match the rest of the exterior. Paint is the best solution and it looks great!
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 07:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Thanks!
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Old 21-05-2021, 09:22   #6

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

I'm third for varnish, using epifanes, and sun covers....relatively easy to sew such covers by hemming small bits of sunbrella left over from other projects. Install snaps to secure cover on teak handrails. Altho still trying to figure out how to fasten sunbrella to varnished rail about the cockpit..
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 09:36   #7

Never epoxy. One mistake not overcoating and it will be a real mess. Buy snap on Sunbrella covers.
Or dont coat them at all. Wash with salt water now and then and keep them clean.

As far as varnishing, if you do, and dont have covers, 3 coats will have break throughs in a year+ up here in the PNW. Rain is quite abrasive actually!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 09:51   #8

Boat: Freedom 32'

I did 2 coats cetol and 4 coats Helmsman. Beautiful.
Old 22-05-2021, 03:00   #9

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30

I have had good success with epoxy and varnish over teak. See the attached videos.

The trick is to get rid of any teak oil on the surface of the wood. Use liberal amounts of acetone to wash the teak. Then do it again. Then do it once more. Rub hard.
The West System 105 epoxy, 207 hardener and the Pettit varnish are pricey but when you are finished it will look like fantastic and will be bullet proof. Definitely remove all pieces to be refinished if you can.

The boat is in Florida and only needs a maintenance coat of varnish yearly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow sprit.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	238944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit table.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	238945  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Companion way doors.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	238946  
Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 10:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo Jim View Post
I have had good success with epoxy and varnish over teak. See the attached videos.

The trick is to get rid of any teak oil on the surface of the wood. Use liberal amounts of acetone to wash the teak. Then do it again. Then do it once more. Rub hard.
The West System 105 epoxy, 207 hardener and the Pettit varnish are pricey but when you are finished it will look like fantastic and will be bullet proof. Definitely remove all pieces to be refinished if you can.

The boat is in Florida and only needs a maintenance coat of varnish yearly.

This is what I did for my helm and I haven't coated it in like 5 years.

That being said I think I am going to lightly sand and then oil since my Dad had a ton of oil in the garage and I'm not sure what's going to happen to the boat.
Old 23-05-2021, 16:31   #11

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I recently saw a boat from Africa that uses only Vaseline on his teak and it looked great. When I mentioned it, two other sailors said they use Vaseline.
After years of varnish and teak varnishes, my spouse plans to try Teak Oil.

On my boat we have the Teak Reduction Act in effect. Every year I remove some topsides teak.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 17:11   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 31

The hatch boards “eye candy” get Epifanes....everything else on the exterior gets Cetol and Cetol Gloss which is the U.V. protection......
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, teak