Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2005, 14:05   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
No WD40 does not have silicon in it. It is also Non-toxic, although I wouldn't go drinking the stuff and no, there is no Kerosene in it either.
I have a freind at NASA that know a freind and so on, that deveolped this stuff. They needed something to coat satillite parts in. They tired many formulaes and many compounds and the name "WD-40" was simply "water dispersent test batch No.40". They found it had many other uses over time and NASA found they had made a true miricle product. Unfortunatly, it was never made to be a specific application for many of the things it does get used for, but it does OK. So many products that come along today that are job specific, tend to do the job better and thus WD-40 gets a bum wrap. The initial job it was designed to do was to displace moisture on sensitive electronic parts and metals.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 16:45   #17
Kai Nui

I remeber that from a previous post Wheels. You are the official go to guy for WD questions
By the way, the banana smelling stuff is "Fluid Film" in answer to a question a long time back.
So, if I use WD, how much should mix into the oil? Is there any benefit to using it as a spray on maintenance by itself? And what exactly does it do when used on teak?
Old 05-11-2005, 18:50   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Well I just simply sprayed it onto a teak duckboard in the shower. allowed it to soak in and then wiped any excess off. The duckboard had 8 days worth of showers and so far, still looks good. Don't know what outside in Sunlight will do. I will try a piece of timber and let you know.
As far as mixing with the other stuff, I don't know. It is just a thought. I will go see if I can find the original info on what the NASA guy found the stuff was good for and some more info on it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote