Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2010, 04:37   #16
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You're doing it all wrong!!!

We sailed our Kalik 40 for several years before we bought it. I remember every year having to sand the teak, scrape out the black rubbery stuff (caulking?) between the planks, clean, reseal with the black rubbery stuff, then oil it then and every few months.

After we bought it, Skip lifted all the teak. Fixed the coach roof (which was lifting at the stanchions), then EPOXIED the teak decking back on, so it became part of the deck - kind of like a reinforcing double layer. Then he filled the gaps between with black epoxy stuff. I had my doubts when he announced he was gonna do this, but six years later it's still in great nick, the deck is healthier than ever, and all we have to do is oil it twice a year. AND we live in the hottest country there is (a dry 40 - 50C in summer - humidity in Spring and Autumn when temp is between 30 & 40), and haven't had problems with the teak splitting, splintering or anything else. And it's no hotter than any other deck I've been on, and it's significantly cooler than the plastic pontoons.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 09:38   #17

I don't have any problems with the boards moving around, and I think the value that epoxy plays (vs screws) has a lot more to do with the material under the boards than teak decking itself. I have teak screwed onto plywood, so my real issue is the plywood, not the teak.

Why were you sanding your teak decks every year? Just leave them be and recaulk them. Dump some sea water on them every week.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 10:47   #18

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
If I could throw an alternative to “teak” decks into the pot? Does anyone have experience of laying the fake teak decking which is now available? I have some samples from Nuteak, in Fort Lauderdale, and whilst it is only ¼” thick, does that matter if it never wears out, never discolors, never lifts, never shrinks and never leaks—thus says the leaflet. It is glued down and the company say you can do it yourself if you are patient, and have a modicum of skill. I know there are other companies, and it sure looks good enough for me. Has anyone used it on a glassfibre deck?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 10:25   #19

Boat: still looking
Rather than start a new thread I'll ask this:
Does anyone have any knowledge of someone installing new teak decks on an older fiberglass boat that originally did not have them. Aside from the expense and maintenance already discussed), what would other negatives be (assuming modern adhesive installation is used)?
nolasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 12:38   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Teak decks make sense when they are absolutely au naturel -- no sanding, no oiling, no messing with them, other than regular buckets of sea water. If they are well made, glued down, thick enough, with sound Sikaflex, they last for years and years with no particular trouble. And delightful underfoot.

Like someone said, if we were being rational, we wouldn't have sailboats at all, with or without teak decks. Teak decks add that certain something, that certain charm, which is beyond considerations of practicality.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 12:47   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Teak decks make sense when they are absolutely au naturel -- no sanding, no oiling, no messing with them, other than regular buckets of sea water. If they are well made, glued down, thick enough, with sound Sikaflex, they last for years and years with no particular trouble. And delightful underfoot.

Like someone said, if we were being rational, we wouldn't have sailboats at all, with or without teak decks. Teak decks add that certain something, that certain charm, which is beyond considerations of practicality.
Agree 100%
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 14:07   #22

Boat: Olson 40
Re: Teak Decking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
If I could throw an alternative to “teak” decks into the pot? Does anyone have experience of laying the fake teak decking which is now available? I have some samples from Nuteak, in Fort Lauderdale, and whilst it is only ¼” thick, does that matter if it never wears out, never discolors, never lifts, never shrinks and never leaks—thus says the leaflet. It is glued down and the company say you can do it yourself if you are patient, and have a modicum of skill. I know there are other companies, and it sure looks good enough for me. Has anyone used it on a glassfibre deck?
Old thread, but I'm investigating the topic.

During the Ft Lauderdale Boat Show a couple of years ago, I went aboard a lot of boats with painted non skid, teak, and fake teak. It was hot and sunny. The painted and teak decks seemed normal, like any others I have ever been on. The fake teaks, by multiple manufacturers, were BURNING HOT! So hot my feet were painfully burning through my shoes! Hotter than black asphalt.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 17:01   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32

Old thread, but I'm investigating the topic.

During the Ft Lauderdale Boat Show a couple of years ago, I went aboard a lot of boats with painted non skid, teak, and fake teak. It was hot and sunny. The painted and teak decks seemed normal, like any others I have ever been on. The fake teaks, by multiple manufacturers, were BURNING HOT! So hot my feet were painfully burning through my shoes! Hotter than black asphalt.
Yeah, laid it myself on the last boat. In the med , in the marina, ie no wind, I had to cool it with water just to walk on it in bare feet otherwise you got burnt.

Dave
Old 18-11-2011, 00:17   #24

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Send a message via Skype™ to jezzb

Hi All,

It is true that it gets hot - but what doesn't get hot in the sun - and with no wind? I remember that when I had real wood teak on my boat, I could not walk on it either as it was very hot. I am located in the med and it gets very hot here in summer. I am attaching a picture of my boat project as someone asked me for it in a previous post. As you can see from the pictures, I installed the synthetic teak with white caulking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	33795   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	33796  

jezzb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 13:25   #25

Boat: Olson 40

Jezz, that looks really good!

At that very sunny show in Ft Lauderdale, going from boat to boat, the temperature difference between the different deck treatments was remarkable. Light colored painted or gel coat decks were certainly the coolest. Teak warmer. But the synthetic teak was like lava, a very dramatic and painful (through shoes!) difference.

But one does tend to put up biminis and stay off sunny decks in general when its hot like that, so actually living with synthetic teak decks is probably not that big a problem.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 10:29   #26

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Send a message via Skype™ to jezzb

@u4ea32 - Yes I totally agree with you. In fact that is What I told "Jolly Roger" in a private chat we had. Bare gelcoat will always be the coolest but not as nice as with Teak - real or Synthetic.

Jezzb
jezzb is offline   Reply With Quote