Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2017, 19:25   #1

Tayana 42 fuel tank

Does anyone have knowlege of replacing the black iron fuel tank on a Tayana Vancouver 42? Is it difficult and how much would it cost to have it done?
Lance835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 09:52   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Tayana 42 fuel tank

Lance835, sorry to hear you are dealing with a leaking fuel tank. I had the same problem on my starboard fuel tank which as you know is below he sole, the galley and all of the cabinets.

Have been able to locate the leak? Mine was just a tiny weeping from a weld at the bottom outboard edge. No amount of leaking is acceptable so it had to be fixed. If the tank could be removed it could be re welded but there is no way to get it out without major demolition of the interior. One yard wanted to cut a hole through the hull below the waterline large enough to pull the tank out sideways. No thanks, I said.

I decided to go with a custom built flexible tank inserted inside the existing tank. This required opening up the top of the tank, grinding out the baffles (really smooth), lining the old tank with dry deck tiles and inserting the custom tank. Of course, after cutting out the baffles, the more exacting your measurements of the inside of the tank the better for the manufacture of the custom flexible tank.

This was more than 10 years ago so I don't recall right off the cost or the supplier of the custom tank but you can google it and get relevant current sources.

As I said this installation is more than 10 years old now with no problems. I'm dreading the day the same issue happens on the port tank because there is no access hatch in the sole in the quarter cabin above the tank.

Best of luck in dealing with this problem.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 10:52   #3

What you described was what my worst nightmare looked like. Luckily I have not bought the boat yet but suspect the leak. I cannot find a way to inspect the tanks very well so about to decide to look at a Caliber which has fiberglass tanks. I cannot find a yard that will repair/replace the tank(s) on the Vancouver. Do you remember even a ballpark figure? Hundreds? Thousands? 10 thousands? etc....
Old 24-07-2017, 10:56   #4

To the best of my memory it was about $6,000. That included a very reasonable labor cost from a marine plumber who did all of the work with meticulous care. But that was a decade ago.
Old 24-07-2017, 11:35   #5

Thanks, these boats are getting older and older and so are the tanks. I really love the Tayana but I guess I will continue searching for a good old boat till I find one with similar build, tankage but better engine and tank access. What a shame. The Vancouver really caught my eye and heart.
Old 24-07-2017, 12:46   #6

I can't advise you about that. I can only say I love my boat. Great sea boat, good accommodations, very high build quality. I do wish that designers and builders gave more thought to accessing tanks and components that they put in before building the interior. That's not unique to any brand.

Depending on the overall condition of the boat you are looking at and the price repairing it may still be a good deal. Point out to the seller what a difficult time he will have finding a buyer with a leaking tank and you may be able to bring the price down $10,000.

Tags
fuel, fuel tank