Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2022, 19:56   #1

Boat: 1967 cal 34
Tartan 33 transom mod

I'm closing in on a T33 as my next boat and I'm finding the 1 thing that would improve our quality of life and that's a swim platform and step through transom. The blue hulled boat is a T33 with a platform and the picture of the walk through transom is a Newport 30(I think). The other picture of the cockpit is a T33 showing that the rear bench is already split, as is the rear stay. Obviously cutting a section out of the transom would weaken it to some extent but it seems as if it's already decently set up to make this mod. My experience with fiberglassing is pretty high and I would also build an arch for some solar panels that would alleviate some of the load. Looking for tips or suggestions on what others think would be a good way to tackle it. My initial thought is to glass in a bulkhead that's in line with the compression load of the split stay trying to squeeze the transom corners together. In conjuction with some reinforcements around the perimeter of the hole in the transom. Also, a decently constructed swim platform would carry some of that load as I see it. Am I crazy?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01a0eae762cd64f29b09841bd6602613c1e2e9a2f5.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	256581   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01835.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	256582  

Attached Images

scottorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 03:35   #2

Re: Tartan 33 transom mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottorious View Post
I'm closing in on a T33 as my next boat and I'm finding the 1 thing that would improve our quality of life and that's a swim platform and step through transom. The blue hulled boat is a T33 with a platform and the picture of the walk through transom is a Newport 30(I think). The other picture of the cockpit is a T33 showing that the rear bench is already split, as is the rear stay. Obviously cutting a section out of the transom would weaken it to some extent but it seems as if it's already decently set up to make this mod. My experience with fiberglassing is pretty high and I would also build an arch for some solar panels that would alleviate some of the load. Looking for tips or suggestions on what others think would be a good way to tackle it. My initial thought is to glass in a bulkhead that's in line with the compression load of the split stay trying to squeeze the transom corners together. In conjuction with some reinforcements around the perimeter of the hole in the transom. Also, a decently constructed swim platform would carry some of that load as I see it. Am I crazy?
Oh my god... you're REALLY contemplating doing that to that gorgeous Tartan?

Why didn't you buy the Newport? Or a Beneteau with swim platform and walkthrough already built in?

If you destroy the boat in that fashion, you may have quite a job ever reselling her. And yes, cutting a huge hole in the stern WOULD compromise the integrity of the hull.

That poor baby!
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 04:04   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I wouldn't touch that without consulting with a Naval Architect. There can be tremendous loads on a backstay. You'd probably also have to redesign/rebuild the rudder stock support. Not a project for amateurs without professional coonsulatation.
Old 25-04-2022, 04:16   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Ditto. The top edge of the transom is structural. It forms a beam reaching from side to side. If you cut that, you have to replace it, and the new beam under the cut out will have to be much more rigid than the original, because it doesn't have as much arm. Consider adding the swim platform and modifying the railing to make it easier to climb over the transom rather than through it. Messing with the structure of a sailboat is rarely a good idea.
Old 25-04-2022, 04:36   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Ultimately it will be less expensive to buy a boat with a walk thru.
Old 25-04-2022, 05:53   #6
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

The PO of my boat did just that, cut a walk through in the transom. It's very nice and convenient. Mine has a drop board made from the old transom top with 10mm plexiglass panel. With the board in place, it feels like a solid transom, which I like. I was never fond of the open transom designs.
It seems plenty strong enough, though I don't know what reinforcement they did.

https://www.jeanneau-owners.com/hint...thrustern.html
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 06:28   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

find another boat. don't cut up the Tartan.
Old 25-04-2022, 06:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
The PO of my boat did just that, cut a walk through in the transom. It's very nice and convenient. Mine has a drop board made from the old transom top with 10mm plexiglass panel. With the board in place, it feels like a solid transom, which I like. I was never fond of the open transom designs.
It seems plenty strong enough, though I don't know what reinforcement they did.

https://www.jeanneau-owners.com/hint...thrustern.html
That's awesome! Just enough room to step right into the dinghy. If you remove the old piece of transom does the boat start flexing? It sure wouldn't be hard to build that kind of functionality into it. A compression post essentially for sailing that could be removed at anchor.
Old 25-04-2022, 11:48   #9
JBP

It does not flex with or without the slide in place. The slide just blocks the hole. I suspect they reinforced what is now the sides of the opening, but I don't know how, I've not been able to contact him (it was a long time ago).
Old 25-04-2022, 12:02   #10
JBP

As it is today. The tracks appear to be solid HDPE routed with grooves and glued on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220425_144948.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	256621   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220425_145056.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	256622  

Old 25-04-2022, 13:28   #11

I appreciate these pictures. The drop board is a great idea. Inevitably it seems like I'd lose things out the back but that that board would nicely contain everything.
Old 25-04-2022, 17:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Why didn't you buy the Newport? Or a Beneteau with swim platform and walkthrough already built in?

If you destroy the boat in that fashion, you may have quite a job ever reselling her. And yes, cutting a huge hole in the stern WOULD compromise the integrity of the hull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I wouldn't touch that without consulting with a Naval Architect. There can be tremendous loads on a backstay. You'd probably also have to redesign/rebuild the rudder stock support. Not a project for amateurs without professional consultation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Ditto. The top edge of the transom is structural. It forms a beam reaching from side to side. If you cut that, you have to replace it, and the new beam under the cut out will have to be much more rigid than the original, because it doesn't have as much arm. Consider adding the swim platform and modifying the railing to make it easier to climb over the transom rather than through it. Messing with the structure of a sailboat is rarely a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Ultimately it will be less expensive to buy a boat with a walk thru.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
Find another boat. Don't cut up the Tartan.
Well, Gents,

It's clear this Member wasn't really soliciting advice at all, only seeking someone who would confirm the mutilation plan.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 17:34   #13

I'd talk to Tim Jackett- at Tartan. (naval architect)
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 18:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Well, Gents,

It's clear this Member wasn't really soliciting advice at all, only seeking someone who would confirm the mutilation plan.
Lol. Sorry. I used words like bulkhead and compression load and reinforcement. You responded with a condescending attitude and emojis. It didn't seem as if it warranted a response. Now you seek to confirm your own bias by tagging everyone who agreed with you. So you can collectively trash my idea.

I never suggested I was going to irresponsibly hack apart a beautiful boat. This thread contains 2 examples of successful modification. Apparently other people have thought and succeeded in the same idea. I sought those people but now I'm afraid they won't speak up because you're trolling here and looking to make people feel dumb for having outside the box ideas.

You said a hole would compromise the strength of the transom. Do you always show up in posts to state the obvious? I stated that much in my initial post. You offered nothing else so of course I ignored you.

If you have nothing of value to add you don't have to chime in. Please just scroll on.
Old 25-04-2022, 19:16   #15

Boat: 1973 van de stadt

take a look at the norstar 40, or the islander freeport 36. Its doable.
spotfire is offline   Reply With Quote