Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2020, 16:43   #1

Boat: CSY 44 Walkthrough
Synthetic teak caprail (and pics)

Almost finished with my synthetic caprail project.... here are a few pics... 1" thick and a 50 year warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200119_111224.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	209906   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200118_131604.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	209907  

Click image for larger version

Name:	caprail 2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	209908  
Old 02-03-2020, 18:24   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Walkthrough
Re: Synthetic teak caprail (and pics)

The teak caprail on my 37 year old CSY 44 had been refinished so many times that there was nothing left to finish again. I have been dealing with a few minor leaks over time and decided a permanent solution was needed. Most owners of my model chose to remove the teak and fiberglass over the caprail and finish the hull to deck joint with a slotted toe rail.
I wanted to keep the aesthetic of wood without the hassle of maintain it in the south Florida sun. After much deliberation, I went with a 1" solid PVC deck product with a 50 year warranty. It is expensive but the results are very nice. The product is from Azek decking in the cypress color which appears to the eye like real wod, grain and all. They also have a fastening system using 316 SS screws that imbed below the surface and comes with matching plugs. This makes the screws invisible. There isn't the option for a gloss finish like a nicely varnished teak caprail, but I couldn't keep that look for long and I've tried everything over the years.
Old 02-03-2020, 18:43   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

I looked at that stuff a few years ago. Looks great! I’m planning on getting some for some smaller projects to test it out. Will be interesting to see how it holds up.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 18:51   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

What’s the reason for the elaborate jig? I would understand steam bending wood but this has me wondering.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 23:06   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
What’s the reason for the elaborate jig? I would understand steam bending wood but this has me wondering.
Pre bend with heat.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 23:51   #6

Caprails on my 1970 Willard 36 Trawler were shot. The 5/4ths x 6"-8" mahogany had some rot. About 20 years ago, some higher end trawlers started to replace teak caprails with fiberglass encapsulated caprails Awlgripped to a contrasting color which I thought looked great. As part of a larger paint job, I'm having that done to eliminate all exterior wood. Attached Pic is after 3 layers of glass and a couple coats of hi-build primer. Final finishing is underway. Paint job is expensive, but adding the encapsulated caprails was not much more.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190821-WA0018.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	209925
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 16:36   #7

Boat: Hans Christian 43

How does the composite machine? I am thinking about making gratings for my cockpit sole with some. Is it a full 1” thick?
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 16:55   #8

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Caprails on my 1970 Willard 36 Trawler were shot. The 5/4ths x 6"-8" mahogany had some rot. About 20 years ago, some higher end trawlers started to replace teak caprails with fiberglass encapsulated caprails Awlgripped to a contrasting color which I thought looked great. As part of a larger paint job, I'm having that done to eliminate all exterior wood. Attached Pic is after 3 layers of glass and a couple coats of hi-build primer. Final finishing is underway. Paint job is expensive, but adding the encapsulated caprails was not much more.Attachment 209925

It looks like an awesome work! Looking forward to see it finished )
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:53   #9

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailndoug View Post
The teak caprail on my 37 year old CSY 44 had been refinished so many times that there was nothing left to finish again. I have been dealing with a few minor leaks over time and decided a permanent solution was needed. Most owners of my model chose to remove the teak and fiberglass over the caprail and finish the hull to deck joint with a slotted toe rail.
I wanted to keep the aesthetic of wood without the hassle of maintain it in the south Florida sun. After much deliberation, I went with a 1" solid PVC deck product with a 50 year warranty. It is expensive but the results are very nice. The product is from Azek decking in the cypress color which appears to the eye like real wod, grain and all. They also have a fastening system using 316 SS screws that imbed below the surface and comes with matching plugs. This makes the screws invisible. There isn't the option for a gloss finish like a nicely varnished teak caprail, but I couldn't keep that look for long and I've tried everything over the years.
Hi: been deciding to go this route on my 1983 Dickerson. Can we have a chat via messenger?
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak