Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2021, 05:14   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Swap my old foam rudder for a INOX steel rudder

TECHNICAL ARTICLES BY DAVE GERR Articles
Including:
“High-Strength Marine Metals, Part 1 - Stainless Steel - Why Stainless Steel is Not the Ideal Marine Metal” ~ by Dave Gerr
http://www.gerrmarine.com/Articles/MarineMetalsPt1.pdf

See also:
“Keel And Rudder Design” ~ by Eric W Sponberg
Part 2 https://www.ericwsponberg.com/wp-con...ngineering.pdf
Part 1https://www.ericwsponberg.com/wp-con...der-design.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 06:26   #32

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

Follow
Old 24-01-2021, 10:44   #33

Boat: Jeanneau, SO51

Thanks for your contribution first!

To repair my rudder, you must remove part of the foam, foaming again and fiberglass almost from the top. Believe me, it is not a simple work to do. I saw 2 times. I do evething in my boat , but not this. If I will not do in steel, I promise you this time I will lean to do myselft!

I have 3 deep sounders, one of them the raymarine 3D. It will be good to put that one you suggest me, but... with a stronger rudder it will be good!!

Reading this thread one might think you are designing for the next Admirals Cup.
No, man. I just want to know if it is phisically suitable before go to make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
Sorry if this sounds rude: why does it cost thousands of $?

If you live on board, in remote countries I do all these repairs myself.

But first of all, invest in a forward looking sounder, doesn't help in open ocean, but great for motoring SLOWLY into unknown places in brown water.

With some LOCALLY purchased LOCALLY produced laminating epoxy you will repair your rudder for less than 100$. Ask local fishermen, someone will help you sourcing, for this repair you do not need the world-best highest grade US epoxy. Urine smell is not an indication for bad epoxy, once cured the smell is gone

Reading this thread one might think you are designing for the next Admirals Cup.

And once again, you want your rudder to brake, not your yacht, and a broken rudder is much much better compared with a bent one. This will usually jam when turning the wheel. Forget steel or inox. Make 3 jigs as sanding guides for minor repairs and 2 half negative forms.

I sail Philippine waters, plenty of uncharted coral heads, rocks and unlit oyster farms here, but good Epoxy too ;-)
CombatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 11:04   #34

Boat: Jeanneau, SO51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
If you build a verry strong rudder with no safety breakaway at the bottom ,you will probably break the stock at the lower bearing or tear out the whole rudder and steering assembly’s,plus unless the new rudder ir the same shape and similar weight,you will have LEE helm as the vsl heels to looward, think this through some more.⛵️⚓️
Thanks for your commend
As you can read in one post I wrote, I want to defend my rudder for a certain situation what happened to me 3 times, with some variants , but the result was the same. In this situation there wont be that you are describing to blow out the lowest bearing or the steering assembly.
Result could be as you said a lee helm if the lowest plate in steel results bended after the collision. Well I would design that part not to bend with for this special cases, I will not have this problem.
I guess I can also design it to broken below certain point to stregn, but higher than the foam version has now

I know by very experience that you can sail with this thousands os miles until refit

Also , in the event to have the steel rudder damaged again (bended or dented), I guess I will be able to repair it WITHOUT remove the rudder down, hopefully. Just weld , bend out etc.

In one sentence, the hole thing is to increase a little the stregn of the rudder, in order to minimize the repairment procedure, keeping in mind , as I said, that in the 3 times it happened to me, it was allways the same, one in an entering of tricky port with narrow in, other 2 between corals

thanks
CombatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 11:53   #35

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

"No Charts available!" you wrote.

Then simply make your own!

All you need is a decent windows-pc, I use a 2012 foxconn nettop, not a notebook, some free but sophisticated software for georeferencing and an internet connection in the next larger city (for speed and price).

Wherever I sail I download satellite pictures and overlay them with available charts. You will see every rock and coral head. Anchoring will be much easier and faster. Sailing between rocks more safe

https://www.gdayii.ca/
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rt-233353.html
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder, steel