Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2017, 22:05   #16

Boat: Prout 46
Re: SV Downwind Dogs: Lagoon 420 Hurricane Salvage, Restoration, and Refit

I hope you or your representative will be present at the yard every day during the restoration. Just as in love, long distance boat yard relationships rarely end well.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 13:49   #17

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: SV Downwind Dogs: Lagoon 420 Hurricane Salvage, Restoration, and Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristjan View Post
Nanny Cay marina and the contractors who work there are very upstanding, I’m offended that someone suggested they would rip you off, I basically lived there and know/knew the yard manager, contractors and marina manager on a daily basis and I can’t imagine they would take advantage of a customer. It’s isn’t a third world cowboy facility.
Ahoy kristjan, It's very reassuring to hear strong support for Nanny Cay Marina. I don't have any personal experience with major repair work at any yard in the BVI so comments from someone who has is very valuable. That having been said, I have worked in a yard in Hawaii, definitely not a third world "cowboy facility" either, that was less than upstanding, so 1st World location is no guarantee of integrity. Also, hard times can sometimes cause people to behave poorly. My comments earlier were based on a private conversation I had with a member of this forum who seemed well informed about the situation on the ground in the BVI. It was precisely because my information was second hand that I didn't name any specific yard or personnel although those details were shared with me. The report sounded credible enough that I thought a head's up to other members of the forum would be appropriate, especially someone who was actively soliciting info on BVI facilities. I consider it equally possible that the insurance companies didn't want to pay reasonable local rates and set up on their own because they thought they could do the work cheaper. Either way it seems prudent to me to investigate current rates, and the availability of space, equipment, material and qualified personnel prior to committing to such a major undertaking. The little bit of information I had seemed relevant to the discussion. To be truthful I hope the information is wrong or overstated. The local people really need the work and income.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs, hurricane, lagoon, lagoon 420, refit, restoration, salvage, wind