Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 05:22   #1

Boat: Dufour 40
Surveyor / Boatyard needed. Boston / Newport area

I have a hull issue on a fibreglass boat and need recommendations for a good surveyor to check it and supervise work. Also a yard with a good reputation and capacity. Currently in New England and can travel a reasonable distance to get to the right people.

Any recommendations? Thanks.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:04   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Surveyor / Boatyard needed. Boston / Newport area

I think the folks at Burr Brothers in Marion are great. Never cheap, no one is, but honest and high quality n
ereiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:43   #3

Boat: Dickerson 37AC
Re: Surveyor / Boatyard needed. Boston / Newport area

Agree on Burr Bros. I used them 2 years ago when I smacked a rock and heavily damaged my keel, rudder and skeg. They do excellent work. I was thankful that it was an insurance deal because as noted, they are not inexpensive. I did feel they dragged some things out too long as I wasn't a priority so my boat spent the majority of season in fiberglass shed when I was told it would take half the time. But the end result was very nice job.

I had extensive fiberglass repair done, new rudder, new skeg, floor tabbing, sump, keel sump foamed, quadrant, autopilot etc. Envision an 8 knot impact into a giant rock in 6-8' seas enough to fracture 1.5" solid glass on the keel and bend rudder post and you get the picture.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, newport, survey, surveyor