Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2013, 19:17   #1

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Surveying Book Recommendations (How-to)?

Hi everyone,

Our Hobie cat was destroyed by a felled tree during Hurricane Sandy and is not cost-effective to repair. My dad, in his retirement, wants to switch to monohull sailing anyways as it's less stressful and he wants to begin doing some short, 2-day coastal cruising. While I've sailed a lot out of Boston, the BVI, and the Chesapeake, I've always sailed on chartered boats, club boats, or friends' boats, and never had to worry much about surveying, maintenance, repair, etc. and would like to please know if anyone has any recommendations for good reads to get the basics of surveying a boat and planning a maintenance plan for its ownership.

As context, there are a lot of great, older boats for sale in our area (Severn River, outside of Annapolis, MD), and, as my dad's getting on in years, he doesn't really want to mess around shopping for a boat, but wants to get a bit of a beater, moor it outside the house, and practice up on it; and sell it after a couple of years to get the boat he really wants. A great example of a boat that would work for this purpose was posted by Laika 1978 Cal 2-27 sailboat for sale in Maryland . Given the relatively low cost of this boat (it would be more expensive to buy a new, and in some cases used, Hobie cat) and others like it ($5,000-$8,000), it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to commission a $500 survey. So, if anyone has recommendations on books to read so that you can 'self-survey' for at least the basics, I'd be grateful. Thank you!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 22:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Surveying Book Recommendations (How-to)?

I have not read it myself but "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" by Don Casey is often mentioned in this context.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 23:21   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

There was a post a few mos back with a paper titled survey 101 in it the paper was very detailed and yet it was easy to understand! Im sure it would work for you with the type of boat your looking at ! If I knew how to attach something to a post, I would put it on here ! it was good enough for me to copy. but alas, Im a puter dummy! somebody tell me and I will put it on !!
Old 14-07-2013, 04:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Boatpoker posted http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1-a-78671.html
which included a link to the article on his website
Here ➥ Marine Survey 101, how to do your own marine survey

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 18:56   #5

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Thanks everyone! The local library has copies of every edition of 'Inspecting the Aging Sailboat,' and now I have this great new link as well! Survey 101 would've been a good search term to start with instead of 'Survey How To.' Thanks again for all your help!

Dan
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote