Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2019, 11:01   #16

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Surface Rust on Keel bolts: any sense in replacing just the nuts and washers?

I've tried cad plated aircraft hardware in my boat. It seems to rust right away.

Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 11:48   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS
Re: Surface Rust on Keel bolts: any sense in replacing just the nuts and washers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
"the central sump on the Jeanneau is poorly designed: it is flat, so it lets water (whether fresh or saltwater) from other sources sit there. (finally found a way to fix this problem, this will happen next)"

I have a 49DS and the same problem. Actually, it is worse. The design is so poor that the limber holes leave water trapped in the cavities either side of the central "sump".

I would be very interested in what your plan is to cure the problem. Perhaps you would be good enough to share it.
Indeed, it is a terrible design, they changed it in the subsequent versions. The idea is to build a box to isolate the limber holes from the keel bolts. The yard said they have done it before on simila Jeanneaus. I will document the construction and let you know.

Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 11:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneL View Post
Replacing with new galvanized washers ,nuts
will protect the bolts,almost as much as galvanizing the
bolts,just as the original galvanizing sacrificed itself keeping bolts safe.
They can be replaced again
when their zinc is sacrificed.
Stainless steel may look nice
but I don't think they will
protect the bolts(metallurgists,correct me?)
Of course keeping bilge dry
and additional surface protection can only help!
Thanks a lot. Indeed, there was never any thought of replacing with SS, as the sump design expected that the bolts would get wet (however idiotic that design! Keel stepped mast and all...) and mandated the use of galavanzed steel for the bolts . Now, will I manage to keep the bolts dry with my planned box, we'll see?
Old 14-07-2019, 12:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Lanocote far better than grease. Been there done that. You cant wash lanocote off even if you try.
I'm not competent enough to offer an opinion on the relative merits of Lanacote or grease, but Cheechako and A64 pilot , I bow to you gentlemen!
Old 14-07-2019, 12:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
surely regalvanizing can't save much over just getting new ones
Correct. Regalvanizing would come only as a last resort if we can't find suitable replacement. I don't expect that will be a problem for the backing plate as it appears to be a 1 cm thick piece of rectangular steel. The only doubt we have is whether the nuts and bolt thread are metric or UTS. While the boat is French, it was originally commissioned in the USA where I suspect the keel was installed. So if the thread is UTS, we may have difficulty sourcing it here...
Old 14-07-2019, 14:08   #21

Boat: Kolibri 12'sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
surely regalvanizing can't save much over just getting new ones
I can't see in what world new bolts can't be had.Never even considered,On the other hand
any welding shops can

ReneL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, keel bolts