Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2015, 09:31   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Surface putty I've already ordered or fairing compound?

I've finished painting my spars with Interlux Brightside following the instructed process for aluminum and it has gone fantastic. Now I want to do the topsides and I'm confused about what I have to do to properly fair before painting. Today I ordered a 16" longboard, Surface Putty 257, Special Thinner 216,and the Brightside color which is the same color as the two part paint on there now (Black). From the spars project I still have plenty of Interprotect 2000E, and Prekote left over. Here is where I'm confused. I was reading just now and it seems I can't sand, clean, and apply fairing compound over existing paint? Can I not sand the area good wherever I need to use the putty but still apply over the paint?I had hoped to get the wax and impurities off, sand with about 150 grit, then fair and sand with the longboard, then prime and paint. There are a few scratches that actually seem to have been painted over which is crazy. They need to be faired, plus when you look at the boat from certain angles you can actually see the woven pattern to the glass at the beam just below the toenail. I guess where someone sanded down too close to the mat and didn't epoxy over it. I've never seen that before. The boat is 43 years old but that can have anything to do with age as I've seen beautiful hulls older than that.

What are my options? Do I have to take all existing off to then get the surface fair?
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:05   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Surface putty I've already ordered or fairing compound?

If you want it to last, yes. Since you are painting, I'd chuck the surface putty and fair in epoxy w/407. Sure you want one part paint?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 16:56   #3

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner

That's what I thought I'd get as a response regarding putty versus fairing compound and admittedly what makes sense. What doesn't though is the split opinions on here related to one or two part paints. Having never painted a fiber gales hill in my life do you really think I should start with two part?
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 00:00   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Absolutely.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 01:03   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
That's what I thought I'd get as a response regarding putty versus fairing compound and admittedly what makes sense. What doesn't though is the split opinions on here related to one or two part paints. Having never painted a fiber gales hill in my life do you really think I should start with two part?
Start and finish. Two part epoxy primer and two part acrylic or poly urethane top coat. That is if you want it to last as long as possible with the least amount of maintenance...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 10:31   #6

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
I've finished painting my spars with Interlux Brightside following the instructed process for aluminum and it has gone fantastic. Now I want to do the topsides and I'm confused about what I have to do to properly fair before painting. Today I ordered a 16" longboard, Surface Putty 257, Special Thinner 216,and the Brightside color which is the same color as the two part paint on there now (Black). From the spars project I still have plenty of Interprotect 2000E, and Prekote left over. Here is where I'm confused. I was reading just now and it seems I can't sand, clean, and apply fairing compound over existing paint? Can I not sand the area good wherever I need to use the putty but still apply over the paint?I had hoped to get the wax and impurities off, sand with about 150 grit, then fair and sand with the longboard, then prime and paint. There are a few scratches that actually seem to have been painted over which is crazy. They need to be faired, plus when you look at the boat from certain angles you can actually see the woven pattern to the glass at the beam just below the toenail. I guess where someone sanded down too close to the mat and didn't epoxy over it. I've never seen that before. The boat is 43 years old but that can have anything to do with age as I've seen beautiful hulls older than that.

What are my options? Do I have to take all existing off to then get the surface fair?
Are you the guy that wanted advice re flatting agent a couple of weeks ago? If so, you never answered my reply to you, but I will try to help one more time.

257 is a spot putty; it is formulated to fix minor scratches and minor imperfections. It dries quickly and sands easily, but is not intended as a fairing compound. The labels on paint products give a lot of information.

What you are seeing on the hull re the "woven pattern to the glass" is possibly a condition referred to as "print through"...common on many glass hulls painted black in areas with a lot of sun. Some resins soften at around 110 degrees F and the result can be what you describe.

To do a proper job does not require sanding "all existing" off to get the surface fair. The determining factor is how much paint, putty, compound, etc. is on that surface now. No one can tell you how to treat your hull over the internet without seeing it, but fairing is the process of gradually filling low spots and eliminating high spots until all is perfectly smooth and level. If previous coatings have built up over the years more aggressive sanding is required. If previous coatings have not built up and are tight and free of defect, then sanding and fairing will be much easier, and only spot putty will be required.

Bear in mind these are only general suggestions, and do not forget that the tech reps at the various paint manufacturers are extremely helpful.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 10:34   #7

Deon how fair the boat is. High build primer may be your friend....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 15:22   #8

Boat: 44 footer

Pictures of the boat?

Cheers,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote