Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2023, 08:43   #1

Boat: 1972 Hallberg Rassy Rasmus
surecal calorifier

I'm installing a SureCal Calorifier. It's a 30L horizontal tank, with an expansion and accumulator tank. I've successfully installed the system with PEX tubing and SharkBite fittings, with a shut off valve at the cold water intake for the clarifier (that is currently shut off). Reason being, that while I've got hot water lines run and properly plumbed, I can't figure out how to wire the darn thing. Here's the instructions I've found online, but it's not clear enough to me how to do this. My experience with wiring is primarily using ANCOR duplex wire for LED cabin lights - nothing this complicated, and nothing involving this many wires or connections.

Any clarity anyone can provide is greatly appreciated! I also have an inline pressure gauge, and would love any input as to where in the system this would be best to install! Either on the cold water line, or on the hot water output line? I don't know what's the best location for this, so your assistance in determining it's spot is greatly appreciated. Happy to post pictures this afternoon if it would help. Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Immersion Connection Instructions.pdf (429.8 KB, 32 views)
SV Allie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 09:25   #2

Re: surecal calorifier

3wires, 3 connections. Not difficult. Like any ac circuit. Google is your friend ….or is this a troll post?
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 09:55   #3

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Manual states: ".This unit should be connected by a suitably qualified electrician in accordance with the latest I.E.E. regulations."

If you have to ask this might be good advice.

14 ga or bigger (I'd use 12ga) copper or tinned copper stranded wire supported every 18" or less. use proper wire clamps. Use crimp eye ends. It appears to be a 220-240V heating element. Should be stamped on the side of the heating element.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 10:58   #4

Boat: 1972 Hallberg Rassy Rasmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post
3wires, 3 connections. Not difficult. Like any ac circuit. Google is your friend ….or is this a troll post?
Not a troll post. I was actually hoping to wire this to a DC circuit. Maybe that's not possible? I'll post pictures tonight.

I've already reached out to an electrican for assistance.
SV Allie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 11:04   #5

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Allie Rose View Post
Not a troll post. I was actually hoping to wire this to a DC circuit. Maybe that's not possible? I'll post pictures tonight.

I've already reached out to an electrican for assistance.
You would need a different heating element. do not try hooking up a 240V A/C heater coil to 12V DC.

How big is your battery bank? What are your charging sources? Can you heat water with 12V? Yes. Does it take a lot of amp hours? Sure does.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 11:22   #6

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Allie Rose View Post
I also have an inline pressure gauge, and would love any input as to where in the system this would be best to install!
Hook up the pressure gage to the top fitting on the accumulator tank where you adjust the air charge.
It makes adjusting both the air charge and the cut-in/cut-out of an external water pressure switch an easy job.
Use a "T" to mount the gage and Schrader fitting for air charge adjustment.
Use air hose to remote mount the device for easy viewing and use.

Old 27-03-2023, 12:07   #7

That's AC wiring. In the US black/live, white/neutral, green/ground. Are you sure it's intended for 110VAC? The wire colors in your instructions are those used in europe. My guess is your unit may be intended for 230VAC
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, calorifier