Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2016, 04:18   #1

Boat: Hunter 44DS 2005
Suggested Spares for Hunter 44DS

Leaving on first trip (more like a delivery) of my 2005 Hunter 44DS from FL to Upstate NY - Seneca Lake. Going on the outside 24x7 if the weather cooperates.

What spares would be considered a must - in general as well as specifically related to the Hunter?
Thanks!
dwlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 04:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Suggested Spares for Hunter 44DS

Welcome to CF dwlocke !

Normal safety equipment and backup handheld electronics, pretty blue pieces of paper with lat/lon lines...

44DS specific is out of my knowledge base of useless info...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 04:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Engine - standard engine spares. Belts, water pump">raw water pump impeller, fuel filters. Since most engines have a number of hoses, many with custom bends and ends it would be difficult and expensive to carry a full set of spares so check all hoses carefully and replace as needed.

Nav. I like to have a paper backup if using a plotter or at least a handheld GPS will appropriate charts. Handheld VHF.

Do you have more than one way to get water out of the bilge, including at least one, large volume, manual pump? Spare pump parts like impellers or diaphragms.

More than one anchor on board, with rode.

Safety. Have you checked and updated fire extinguishers, flares, etc. Dinghy or life raft just in case.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 05:13   #4
cruiser

If the boat has not been used for more than a couple of seasons, none of the pumps can be trusted including sumps, macerator, bilge, engine impeller, toilet etc. Have spare rebuil kits and extras for each type pump. All of the rubber seals and impellers in the pumps will be worn and hard. This is true for any boat, not just Hunters. Check the condition of the interior of the fuel tank for contamination and/or growth. Service your winches and windlass.

Have an extra fresh water water pump, bilge pump and sump pump onboard, since the pumps can't always be rebuilt. Rebuild your manual bilge pump.

We owned a Hunter 450 and now an Oyster 53, all of the pumps on each boat required rebuild or replacement during the first three months of ownership.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 06:24   #5

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I carry belts......alternator...starter....spare bilge pump and float ... Filter oil and impeller .....and a lot of chocolate chip cookies
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 07:53   #6

I have a 2006 Hunter 44ds and recently spent 8 months in Mexico. The things that went out that I didn't have a spare for but whished I did were my alternator (had it rebuilt in Mazatlán) and my macerator pump. Keep a spare macerator because that is the only way to get waste out of the holding tank. It became a real problem for my crew on the bash back to San Diego from Cabo.

Hope that helps. I agreed with all the other posts about hoses, impeller, etc... Good luck and have a great trip!
BradWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 06:18   #7

Boat: Lagoon 40

I have a Hunter 42 Passage - it looks like you have have been given good advice on most of the parts I would carry, so I will just add a couple of items based on my cruising experience. In addition to the belts, impellers, etc., check out your steering gear (particularly steel cables), make sure you know where all the through hulls are and that they operate. Check you throttle and gear shift cables - consider carrying a spare Teleflex cable (I had one break in the Bahamas). But most importantly, carry sufficient tools and general items that you can "jerry rig" repairs to the things you just cannot anticipate - carry spare lines, string, hose clamps, epoxy, some electrical cable, electrical tape. In addition to a fairly typical tool set, I carry a variety of clamps, pliers, vice grips, bolt cutters, and a cheap tap and die set - and yes, all of those items have been used!

Hope this helps! Fair winds, and a safe trip!
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 06:27   #8
cruiser

Excellent advice regarding the ability to Jerry rig. We accidentally broke our throttle cable linkage on the Oyster in a remote spot, and were able to Jerry rig using tools and stuff to get back to Malloca for a replacement.

Bring along a large roll of Gorilla tape.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 06:35   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd tell you to not go outside, not until day three anyway, give it a day or two for stuff to break first.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter