Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2009, 18:47   #1

Submerged Sailboat?

If a sailboat is submerged in water for 4 days, can it be cleaned up without any major work? Supposedly water got in by a storm and sank it. He is only charging for raising and blocking the boat. $1500 for a 1980 Capri 25 a good deal?
Old 13-05-2009, 18:56   #2

I am assuming this was in salt water. Electronics will be toast. All wiring connections will need to be replaced/resoldered. All hardware (blocks, winches, etc) will need to be flushed with freshwater and lubricated. Any engine will now be an anchor. Sails will need to be washed. etc.
Hull should be fine, but deck (if cored) may have problems down the line.

How valuable is your time?
Old 13-05-2009, 18:58   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Salt or fresh? Wiring will be shot. All pumps switches etc too. Would be wary you may be able to find similiar price for one that hasn't been sunk.
Old 13-05-2009, 19:36   #4

Boat: Morgan OI 414
First thing you need to do is get the engine restarted. If the engine went completely underwater don't despair. You will need drain the water and oil out of the engine. Alot of times water will be in the cylinders. Do not try and start untill you pull the injecters out, as the engine will lock up and possibly cause damage. Once the injecters are out, put marval mystery oil or wd-40 in the cylinders for lubrication then you can spin the engine by hand with a socket on the crank.

The starter will need to be taken apart and cleaned and often times they will work fine. I have seen them work without doing anything to them but it won't last. A new starter would be best, however if you can't get one very soon then you will need to make the old one work. You will need new battery cables and a fresh battery as those will be toast if it was saltwater.

Fill the engine with new oil and crank it over with the injectors out as that will force most of the remaining water out. Then re-install the injectors and fuel lines. Then try to restart the engine, it may take some time and effort because you lost the fuel prime on the engine. It will restart provided that it is done right away and I am talking like right now.

Most of the time believe it or not, these submerged engines turn out to be fine. Water goes down into the crank case and the oil floats on top of it keeping the top end of the engine lubricated. I have restarted every submerged diesel engine that I have ever worked on, but it is very important to make it happen right away. If you cant do it or can't find somebody to do it. Drain all the oil and water out and fill it completely up with diesel fuel as this will preserve the engine until it can be restarted by someone who is capable. Wash the engine down with fresh water.

You also want to put a dehumidifier in the vessel right away also to help preserve it. Good Luck
Old 13-05-2009, 22:05   #5

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention. Freshwater. For $1500 is it a fair price, even if the engine is shot and wiring/electronics need to be all redone? I have more money to spend on a first boat just wanted to know if this was a good deal/worth my time.
Old 13-05-2009, 22:25   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I have more money to spend on a first boat just wanted to know if this was a good deal/worth my time.
No, and no again.

Ay boat that has been "under" is no good:

Especially Salt water..As in permanent damage.

If you are too poor or too broke to buy a used boat in bad shape, you can always go shopping for one that has been underwater for a few days or a few months, but not a good idea..

If you do, expect a lot of work and many surprises down the road.

In general, dont pay much or anything for a sunken boat..

Your milage may vary and the ultimate handyman like "Fatty Goodlander" can get away with it, but not the average cheapo boater...Fatty was raised on a sailboat and had some background.
Old 14-05-2009, 04:15   #7

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34
Been there, done that, boat submerged fewer than 24 hours in salt water. After refloating, entire boat flushed with fresh water, with pumps dumping it overboard. For the most part, except for dishwasher-/laundry- safe stuff, everything was ruined. All wiring required replacement; water seeps into insulation and guarantees hidden corrosion, especially near connections. All electrical gear ruined. Water finds its way to every crack and crevice in the boat. Mixed with effluent in the water, it is a prescription for smells and gunk where you will never discover it. Some "sealed" sections rotted later becacause of trapped water. The engine, alternator, starter were saved with considerable washing, quarts of WD-40, air blowing, towels, oven drying of parts, multiple fluid changes, and starting as soon as possible ( only a few hours after retrieval). The list of problems goes on and on. A half-dozen people with experience with this type of problem made it possible to get my boat going again, but I agree with the other posters and strongly suggest that you look for a different boat.
Old 14-05-2009, 05:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As submerged boat is a liability, not an asset. What this doner/seller appears to be doing, is asking for you to invest $1500, to turn his liability into an asset, which he will then give away.
A Catalina Capri 25 might be worth anything between $3,500 up to $13,500, depending upon condition & equipage. Whilst still submerged, this boat represent’s more than a $1,500 liability.
Check out:
Catalina - Capri - 25s International Association

Old 14-05-2009, 05:53   #9

Given the typical second hand values of that class of boat it is most likely a financial write off after being submerged, even in fresh water, for 4 days.

The owner now has the liability of dumping the boat (perhaps realising some value from stripping and selling recoverable hardware, sails, etc) or spending more than its worth to make it good again.
Old 14-05-2009, 05:54   #10

Boat: Morgan OI 414
My advice was only what needed to be done now to preserve the engine. There are many more issues to be concerned with. I would take everyone's advice and steer clear of a once sunk vessel.
Old 14-05-2009, 07:35   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The owner should feel lucky if he is able to give it away for free.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 14-05-2009, 09:40   #12

Thanks everyone. I have more money to spend on a boat. I just wanted to know if it was worth the effort. Guess not lol.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtrio View Post
Been there, done that, boat submerged fewer than 24 hours in salt water. After refloating, entire boat flushed with fresh water, with pumps dumping it overboard. For the most part, except for dishwasher-/laundry- safe stuff, everything was ruined. All wiring required replacement; water seeps into insulation and guarantees hidden corrosion, especially near connections. All electrical gear ruined. Water finds its way to every crack and crevice in the boat. Mixed with effluent in the water, it is a prescription for smells and gunk where you will never discover it. Some "sealed" sections rotted later becacause of trapped water. The engine, alternator, starter were saved with considerable washing, quarts of WD-40, air blowing, towels, oven drying of parts, multiple fluid changes, and starting as soon as possible ( only a few hours after retrieval). The list of problems goes on and on. A half-dozen people with experience with this type of problem made it possible to get my boat going again, but I agree with the other posters and strongly suggest that you look for a different boat.
Hi my name is Deborah.. Hamilton Ont.. I have a cs 37 that sunk.. in water 6-7 hrs.. she is now raised.. fresh water.. I read your concerns about engine, drain lubricate.. concerns of effluent water..rotted sections later.... humidifier or heater to dry???drying everything.. can you tell me more.. Im a diver .. is it too obvious a question about getting in water to check hull, bearing etc etc.. any more info would be great thanx..
Old 09-10-2009, 07:33   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Deborah,
Fortunately it was fresh water and only for 6-7 hours, which does make a difference short term and long term. The engine might even be salvageable if you get the water out ASAP and get it lubed back up and running. Disassemble all your electronics now and hit them with electronics cleaner...that MAY save some of them if they were not powered up when the water hit them. Don't spray them with WD-40. Electronics cleaner accelerates the water evaporation, WD-40 might lock in the water. I have saved a few printed circuit boards on oceanographic equipment by doing this.

Get some forced draft ventilation down there immediately (a great big fan pointing down over a deck hatch), remove everything that is loose, open all hatches and cabinet doors. Some things will be ruined and there is nothing you can do to save them. You have the idea. It could still be a good boat and the quicker you act the better off you will be.

I'm going to create a new thread for you...this is obviously an urgent matter and you deserve better attention from the members by not having your problem buried in an old thread.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:48   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The new thread for Deborah....
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...newthread&f=47

Closed Thread