Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2020, 16:47   #91

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Structural Reinforcement WITHOUT Using Epoxy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwave99 View Post
Why are you having such a reaction to epoxy? Are you using surgical gloves? Are you wearing a rebreather when you work with it? If not, that is why you and your girlfriend are having problems. We built our whole boat (a catamaran) with epoxy (epoxy & wood for the cuddy cabin/bridgedeck and epoxy and foam core for the hulls) and extended it twice with epoxy. As has been said by others, it is the best glue--if you mix it properly and don't let it get hot--then it is unusable. Buy a 100-pack of surgical gloves at Home Depot and a rebreather for yourself and your girlfriend and PUT THEM ON before you even open the epoxy parts (2 parts).

You can see our boat and our extension process at lightwave99.com.
Tell this to kids who die from peanuts. That’s where I am with epoxy. Everyone is different. Read up please.
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 16:54   #92

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
Wow, so sorry to hear about your reaction. Best solution, get a metal boat!

I know, wishful thinking at this point. My Cal 46 uses aluminum box beams for stiffing both longitudinally and athwartships. The large house is supported from keel and up the hull, accross the decks and up and over the cabin top including around the mast partners. These vessels are very strong many many have circumnavigated. They are all at least 45 yrs old and if given even half way normal maintenance, are still going strong. The beams are mostly glassed in but also in some places bolted instead. You could use aluminum beams and through bolt them. With backing plates or bands. Just a thought. Again sorry for your allergy and goodness, be careful.
Thank you. I would love to use aluminum beams. However there is a camber to the roof. How would that work? I don’t think I could get an aluminum beam with a prebuilt camber could I? I don’t know about that. Maybe I could.
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:32   #93

Boat: Adams 28, 8.7m

Investigate Soudal T Rex, made in Belgium, advertised as the strongest sealant/adhesive on the planet. I have been using it exclusively for a while.
Patrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:09   #94

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Thank you. I would love to use aluminum beams. However there is a camber to the roof. How would that work? I don’t think I could get an aluminum beam with a prebuilt camber could I? I don’t know about that. Maybe I could.
There is no reason to glass a beam up on the boat. It's not hard to make a template so you can have whatever type of beam you want made off the boat. Fiberglass, plywood, aluminum whatever can be done elsewhere and bolted or glued in place once completed.

In case you're not familiar with how to template a curve, a quick Google search should pull up a ton of results with detailed videos and pictures. But here is a quick written summary:

Brace the cabintop to the correct position your plans require. Place a wide board that spans the entire length perpendicular to your roof. I typically get better results with a compass/dividers, but a joggle stick and batten may work better for that large of a span with its uniform curve. Now scribe your line to the perpendicular board and you have your template.

If you you want to make a solid fiberglass beam, make a cheap and simple mold out of MDF and go at it with polyester or vinylester resin.
If you want to laminate a beam out of plywood, transfer the template to a 2x10" or whatever radius you need, cover the edge with packing tape so you can pop it off later, and laminate the plywood directly to the lumber. If you want aluminum, bring the template to a shop that can bend T shaped bar stock or whatever shape you want. All options can easily be Plexus adhered once completed.

Matt
Old 03-03-2020, 05:22   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I would be sorely tempted to put stainless steel screws with washers down from the top into the beam, or better bolts with nuts on the bottom. It can be done in an attractive manner if you start with the right parts, and work out issues like torque and caulking.

Tags
epoxy, men