Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2018, 09:30   #1

Boat: Tayana 47
Stripping Spar Varnish

It's time to refinish our cockpit table and this time I want to take it down to bare wood and start fresh. There are lots of paint stripping products out there that also claim to work on varnish, but which one(s) work well on spar varnish? Since it's cold outside here and I'd like to have it done before spring, I'll be working inside and for that reason I'd prefer a non-toxic product, but if that's not possible, will use a respirator and use whatever works.

Does anyone on CF have a good product and accompanying technique that would work well to strip a varnished cockpit table?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 09:51   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Stripping Spar Varnish

I used to use paint remover until I sat in a puddle of it. I made a minor spectacle of myself, suspended between the dock and the boat with my butt in the water until the burning stopped. For the past 30 years I have simply used a good quality heat gun. Lots faster with easier cleanup than chemicals and much less toxic, although if you are inside you will still want to use a respirator as it does produce fumes. Just heat until the varnish starts to bubble and remove with a sharp paint scraper. If, for some reason you do use a chemical remover, don't sit in it.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 10:00   #3

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

+ 1 on mikereed100.

We just stripped our caprail this fall and used a heat gun and a set of good scrapers. Scraper sharpness was important - and they come in a wide variety of sizes for large and small spots. No chemical mess to clean up.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 10:24   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Cabinet/Card scrapers do a good job also. /Len

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/...rmance-results

Old 28-12-2018, 08:17   #5

The consensus seems to be that the heat gun and various scrapers working together is the best solution so I will try that first. An added advantage is that I can do it out in the garage this time of year so will have plenty of fresh air and the heat from the gun will seem pleasant. Thanks all!
Old 28-12-2018, 09:24   #6

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
The consensus seems to be that the heat gun and various scrapers working together is the best solution so I will try that first. An added advantage is that I can do it out in the garage this time of year so will have plenty of fresh air and the heat from the gun will seem pleasant. Thanks all!
Yeah, maybe....

On a piece like a table, I'd use stripper and a scraper. Just cover the stripper with Saran wrap for ten minutes or so, then peel, scrap and light sand. That would be the minimal amount of effort.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 10:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Yeah, maybe....

On a piece like a table, I'd use stripper and a scraper. Just cover the stripper with Saran wrap for ten minutes or so, then peel, scrap and light sand. That would be the minimal amount of effort.
one of the problems with a stripper is to determine which strippers work with spar varnish to start with. Before I started this thread I called a local furniture refinishing shop along the coast and the owner told me that he'd tried it more than once and the stripper he uses doesn't work on spar varnish. But I have plenty of time so don't mind it taking awhile via the heat gun.

But if you know of a chemical stripper that you've used on spar varnish before that actually works, I'd be very interested to know what it is?
Old 28-12-2018, 10:48   #8

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
one of the problems with a stripper is to determine which strippers work with spar varnish to start with. Before I started this thread I called a local furniture refinishing shop along the coast and the owner told me that he'd tried it more than once and the stripper he uses doesn't work on spar varnish. But I have plenty of time so don't mind it taking awhile via the heat gun.

But if you know of a chemical stripper that you've used on spar varnish before that actually works, I'd be very interested to know what it is?
If it's spar varnish, any stripper will work. If it's a 2 part catalyzed product the heavy duty strippers will still work, but take longer.

I like this one:. https://www.amazon.com/Jasco-QJBP002...51402563&psc=1

Again, the key is covering with Saran wrap to allow it to work.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 07:19   #9

Now that the Christmas and New Years holidays are past, I've had time to work on the table and have found that the heat gun with a scraper works very well and without the mess or fumes from chemical stripper. Once the varnish is heated it comes off surprisingly easily. Once it's stripped, then a quick once over with 2 different coarseness sandpaper and it's ready for the first, thinned coat of varnish. It's going to take awhile due to having to suspend and varnish all the little pieces with several coats but I'm optimistic that I'm on the right path and it's going to look great. Thanks to all those who chimed in with good advice.
Old 20-01-2019, 19:26   #10

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

What about using polyethylene instead of varnish?
Old 21-01-2019, 08:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
What about using polyethylene instead of varnish?
I've used both Epifanes and Petit Captains Varnish but in recent years have settled on the Captains Varnish because it seems easier to apply for amateur varnishers like myself. But looking at Practical Sailor testing results, the Detco Crystal looks interesting except for it's "fair" rating for ease of application.

What do you see as the advantage of using polyethelene instead of something like Petits Captains varnish?

Tags
varnish