Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2020, 10:47   #1

Stripped bolts for saildrive diaphram

Just removed my saildrives, and it appears that one of them has been removed before since the flange was different and unpainted and all but 1 of the bolts that hold the diaphragm down were stripped, and even had to cut several of the bolts out to remove the flange

This will require me to remove all the threaded inserts and replace them.

Any recommendations and inserts and and process to install them into fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3134.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	225821  
treadlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 11:41   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Stripped bolts for saildrive diaphram

Fiberglass, epoxy, and something like this:

https://www.grainger.com/product/E-Z...ss-Steel-4ZE50

If necessary, you could get some G10 fiberglass sheet
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 06:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

"This will require me to remove all the threaded inserts and replace them."

Consider the possibility of saving the existing inserts. Heat is not an option, but penetrant followed by a visegrip might work for the protruding bolts, and the sheared ones can be drilled and lifted with a conical bolt extractor. If the threads in the inserts are stripped, then helicoiling them is an option:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=helicoil+...l_4v5imvlh8f_e

I hate to see you start from scratch in getting threads mounted in the fiberglass, but GGray has the answer if you have to.
Old 28-10-2020, 07:07   #4

They already spun inside the fiberglass, so removal is required at this point.

Parts have been delivered, I will be repairing today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saildrive_bolt_repair.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	226020  
Old 28-10-2020, 07:40   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Are you sure they are inserts and spinning? Some pre-made mounts for sail drives have metal plates in them that are threaded and may just be stripped. I was told that the metal plates in mine are aluminum and not to over torque them. I have been concerned about galvanic corrosion since I learned this since the drive is mounted with stainless steel bolts.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 07:48   #6

Pretty sure since I can see it spinning and I cannot pull the bolt out anymore. Just spins.

What baffles me is how long the bolts are. They are about 2 1/2" long but the flange, fiberglass, and insert combined is only about 1"

I haven't really looked closely at it since pulling the drive out. I will get back to it today and take some pictures and probably some video as well.

So I have done a repair like this before with a mast step, and I used brass. I didn't think brass would be a good fit for this so I have all stainless steel. Since they are not submerged in water, I would assume the stainless would be fine.
Old 28-10-2020, 10:28   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Since your inserts are already spinning I would guess that whatever they were screwed into has failed. What is your plan for installing the new ones? Did you order them oversized so they will bite into whatever was holding the old ones or are you planning to fill the holes and re-drill them to the right size for the new inserts.

I too have not worried too much about the galvanic corrosion until recently though I did have concerns about it. About 2 months ago I had a fitting in an air conditioner T develop a pin hole leak. Before I heard the bilge pump go off it managed to spray salt water mist over my entire starboard engine room. Even though I washed down everything with fresh water I now have rust all over the place. So much for my 18 year old engine without a spot of rust. I'm just hoping that no salt water got down the threads of the mounting bolts.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 10:47   #8

For sure someone has been pretty rough on that bed. The original equipment on Volvo engine beds are rectangular steel plates about 1.5 square and 1/4 thick that are drilled and tapped and then glassed into the underside of the bed. There are no inserts or anything else protruding above the fiberglass surface.

If you are going to drill and tap for the insert, might as well just tap and use oversize bolts on the clamp ring.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 05:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
For sure someone has been pretty rough on that bed. The original equipment on Volvo engine beds are rectangular steel plates about 1.5 square and 1/4 thick that are drilled and tapped and then glassed into the underside of the bed. There are no inserts or anything else protruding above the fiberglass surface.

If you are going to drill and tap for the insert, might as well just tap and use oversize bolts on the clamp ring.
Oh, interesting and disheartening. It seems they used a press in insert and not a threaded insert. Everything was stripped coming out, so they really did a number on this thing when they put it together.

Well I was going to drill out what is there, fill with epoxy, then drill tap fo the new inserts(which are threaded inserts) which are the same size bolt thread as the original. Hopefully it won't need to come out for another 7+ years.
Old 29-10-2020, 05:47   #10

oh wait, you mentioned to drill and top the embeded ring. Hmm, yeah, that might be pretty easy. I will look into that as soon as I start digging into it. If that is the case, the might be a pretty easy fix.

Tags
sail, saildrive