Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2014, 17:45   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Strataglass and Pledge??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Thinwater, could you please expand on your experience with RAin-X on vinyl?

I have used it on plain PVC clears when going to sea, and it helps keep salt deposits from building up when there is lots of spray. I wasn't aware of long term negative effects and I'm very interested in just what happens.

Thanks for your various efforts along these lines, BTW. It is refreshing to get some objective data rather than anecdotal opinion on such subjects.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim, Strataglass is pretty specific on Rain-X: "Warning - Use of RAINEX, Pledge, or Plexus on Strataglass appears to work for a short time but then dulls the surface and presents an "Orange Peel" effect. Do not use any of these products."

It does work well on regular vinyl, though. The only difference with Strataglass is that it has a scratch-resistance coating on it. I suspect some chemicals like Rain-X may react with the coating to cause the problem. Regular vinyl has no coating.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 18:45   #17

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

My experience is that a few drops of water permit effective usage of the Strataglass polish w/ minimal amounts of polish.

Yes it is expensive, but now I get outstanding results using only a minimal amount of product.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 19:03   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhovan View Post
All,

The prices for Strataglass cleaners and polish have entered the "strata" -sphere range.

Anyone have any experience with using a can of $3.95 pledge from walmart? The strataglass website says it will work for a while but will show "orange peel." I've also read somewhere not to use the "lemon" type.
Strataglass Care and Maintenance

I've been using starbrite polish which works well, but does not leave the surface resistant to dirt etc after a short while.

Can anyone recommend a substitute product or share experience using pledge on strataglass?

thanks,
John
Practical Sailor Jan 2014 just published theri 3-year test results on cleaners for Stratglass. "VINYL PROTECTANTS TEST KICKOFF"

here is a link Practical Sailor - January 2014

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PLEDGE WILL WRECK YOUR WINDOWS
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 19:26   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Only one product ever touches our dodger windows... IMAR....

Old 20-01-2014, 20:02   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Wow, nice windows, Mainesail!

But I think I must be confused about what Strataglas is, for those look like hard glazed windows, not flexible dodger clears (but I'm not sure about that, either!). So, would someone clue me in, please! We're due for some new clears in our dodger, and I'm not sure what is available here in Oz, and in particular, Tasmania. I would like something WAY better than the crap that it came with... never was much good, rapidly degraded, not useful visibility now.

Thanks all,

Jim
Old 20-01-2014, 20:15   #21

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Shann Victoria Head Office
2/23 Bell Street
Preston Vic 3072
E-mail: inquiry@shann.com.au This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
orders@shann.com.au This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
www.shann.com.au
New South Wales, AustraliaPh: +61 03 8480 0800
Fax: +61 03 8480 0829Shann Victoria Head Office
2/23 Bell Street
Preston Vic 3072
E-mail: inquiry@shann.com.au This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
orders@shann.com.au This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
www.shann.com.au
New South Wales, AustraliaPh: +61 03 8480 0800
Fax: +61 03 8480 0829
Jim
Maybe ship to tassie from Melb

Distributors and Dealers

Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:16   #22

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Sorry no idea how that mess happened
Distributors and Dealers
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:19   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Thinwater, these are Strataglass panels, or regular vinyl panels?

Mark
Strataglass, O'Sea, Regalite, and Crystal Clear 20/20. Also used pannels that have been buffed and sealed.
Old 20-01-2014, 20:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Thinwater, could you please expand on your experience with RAin-X on vinyl?

I have used it on plain PVC clears when going to sea, and it helps keep salt deposits from building up when there is lots of spray. I wasn't aware of long term negative effects and I'm very interested in just what happens.

Thanks for your various efforts along these lines, BTW. It is refreshing to get some objective data rather than anecdotal opinion on such subjects.

Cheers,

Jim
On very humid days it would take on a marbled, foggy appearance that I did not see on untreated panels. I have not seen any evidence of coating pealing or fogging when dry, but it's only been 6 months, used monthly. Pledge actually fogged up the windows; not a lot, but why risk it when there are good products?

I also found that frequent use of Imar served the same purpose, though I admit regular application takes dedication.

I started this project because dodgers cost a mint (I had recently replaced mine) and Imar products are pricey. I got all sorts of donations... but I still use only the Imar on my dodger, after watching the panels and doing the chemistry research. I have to buy with my money. It's that much better. I thihnk there are a few other products that are safe, but I do not believe they protect as well.

That said, these panels are going to receive their side-by-side monthly and quarterly treatments for the next 4 years, which will be the real test.
Old 20-01-2014, 22:00   #25

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
True enough, but that is polycarbonate vs. vinyl with a polyurethane coating. Very different chemistry. Plastic is not plastic any more that aluminum is the same as iron.
Plastic aircraft windshields are not polycarbonite but plexiglass for the most part. While there are some polycarbonite windshields it is not the material of choice unless you plan on hitting something or crashing into something and need the extra flexability. It shows scratches more and does not polish out as well as acrylic.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 03:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Plastic aircraft windshields are not polycarbonite but plexiglass for the most part. While there are some polycarbonite windshields it is not the material of choice unless you plan on hitting something or crashing into something and need the extra flexability. It shows scratches more and does not polish out as well as acrylic.
Correct. I wasn't thinking. Also softer than acrylic. I know a guy that makes formed polycarbonate windows, but as you point out, that is a small part of the whole market.

Without introducing too much drift, both are used for hatches on boats, and they can be pollished and protected with different products, though I hope folks know these are even more vulnerable to solvent attack than vinyl!

Gotta know the material and do the research.
Old 21-01-2014, 06:19   #27

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Jim, Strataglass (and O'Sea) are vinyls, similar to the typical clears. How they differ is that they are heat pressed and rolled during manufacturing, then treated with a scratch-resistant and UV coating. The pressing and rolling of them make them much more clear than regular vinyl - which is why you thought Mainsail's dodger was glazed glass. The difference is very great.

Thinwater, I will be interested in your strataglass vs o'sea results because we just made a new dodger with O'sea. It replaced our previous Strataglass. The one difference that is very noticeable between the two is that the O'sea is much more flexible and forms into shape much better. We have large window expanses with curves in parts of it. The strataglass would never form well and would leave a wavy look around the curved portions. The O'sea flows out like formed glass in these sections.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 17:25   #28

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try the camco 210 on my strataglass. It's past mid life, so i'm not too worried about damage at this point. Just trying to extend the life another 3 years or so.
jhovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 18:59   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
..The one difference that is very noticeable between the two is that the O'sea is much more flexible and forms into shape much better. We have large window expanses with curves in parts of it. The strataglass would never form well and would leave a wavy look around the curved portions. The O'sea flows out like formed glass in these sections.

Mark

Very true. O'Sea is newer in the market, but so far it has been impressive with chemical exposure tests, performing the same or perhaps better than Strataglass. Because of the flexibility, it seems to be less prone to scratching when rolled (less force).

Part of the reason I took on this project is because I have a large dodger (catamaran) and will need to replace the glass in ~ 5-7 years; I'm anxious to be certain of the best care approach, and I'm not particularly thrilled with Strataglass (I have sections that roll up--Strataglass 40 is too stiff, but O'Sea 40 is more like Strataglass 20).
Old 24-01-2014, 19:04   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I wouldn't blame the Strata folks for saying what companies like Goodyear and Michelin say about tire protectants: "We don't know" but when they say "We no longer recommend the use of any other products, regardless of the manufacturer’s claims. ...Using any other product(s) void the factory warranty.” " They're just cruising for a bad day in the courts. US warranty laws say that kind of statement is flat out illegal, they have to show proof that the other product caused the warranty damage, before they can void the warranty. Yeah, it really is that simple, and that's old and standard federal law in the US by now.

Everyone else in the "surfaces" and "cleaners" industries is pretty much honest enough to say "ur product is made from xyz, and it will be harmed by abc, so don't use ay products that contain those things". Like Windex with ammonia, or waxes that contain petrochemicals.

Ain't rocket science. Nice to say "We don't know what that stuff is, we only know our stuff is safe" but going beyond that is just shameless terrorism.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote