Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2021, 14:54   #1

Storing varnish brushes between coats without cleaning

Up to know I've been using disposable foam brushes for varnishing bright work, but I'm wanting to try regular good quality brushes, especially for the final coats. I'd obviously have to clean brushes between coats, however I've read that some people have avoided the cleaning step by storing the brushes wet in plastic bags, putting them in the refrigerator, etc. Any recommendations on storing brushes between coats without cleaning that have actually worked for you?

Thanx
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 14:59   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Storing varnish brushes between coats without cleaning

Generally I use disposable brushes. But I do use good brushes for final coats, at least some of the time.

Usually I clean the brushes with one rinse of solvent, then place them in a plastic bag in a freezer (or outdoors in the Minnesota winter), and use the brush the following day.

You would want to consider the toxicity of the varnish and its proximity to food. I mostly do this with one-part varnish.
Old 27-07-2021, 16:04   #3

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we have very little timber work (and definitely none outside) but when we do need to touch up any, we invariably use water based varnish.

functions just as well and a whole lot easier to clean up after every use

cheers,
Old 27-07-2021, 16:47   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, for years now I've simply placed varnish and paint brushes in a jar of water, deep enough that the bristles are completely submerged. The next day I simply pull it out, make a few brush strokes on newspaper to remove residual water from the outside and commence using it.

Works for bottom paint rollers too...

Jim
Old 27-07-2021, 17:33   #5

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

I have a commercial made brush storage container with a suspension rack but u can make your own with any tall plastic container with a wide mouth. Drill a small hole across upper container to pass coat hanger or small dowel though container-brush handle -container suspending the bristles approx: 1” above bottom of container. Add sufficient mineral spirits or paint thinner to cover 1/2 of brush ferrule. Wipe as much varnish off as you can with paper towel/rag, single rinse in solvent in second wide mouth container, store brush suspended in clean solvent. Weekly drain the storage solvent into the rinse jar and clean out the sediment (precipitated varnish) replacing with fresh. Takes 2 minutes! For long term brush storage, wash brush with soap & water, then suspend in same container in diesel. (This is what Epiphanes suggests to keep using same brush for years, it works).
Old 27-07-2021, 17:45   #6

Boat: Pearson 323
Storing varnish brushes between coats without cleaning

Good China bristle brush, when finished wrap with plastic wrap keeping the bristles straight and air tight, place in refrigerator, reuse hours to days later.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 17:58   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, for years now I've simply placed varnish and paint brushes in a jar of water, deep enough that the bristles are completely submerged. The next day I simply pull it out, make a few brush strokes on newspaper to remove residual water from the outside and commence using it.

Works for bottom paint rollers too...

Jim
THIS ^^^^

Throughly cleaning when finally finished is important too; with the right technique it takes very little solvent. Maybe half a cup (~100 ml) of new solvent for a 3" brush; never throw out the used cleaning solvent, keep it for next time. Unused solvent is only needed for the final step in the cleaning process. I have using the same brushes for decades and they get a fair bit of use.

The above is assuming solvent based paints, water based is a different ball game.

With water based, you still have to keep the air away from the brush but of course using water to do this is problematical. I dip the brush into the paint and then tightly wrap in plastic. However for water based paints it only works for a day (or two at the most) IME.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 18:10   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

I keep a screw top jar of with about 1/2" of engine oil and after washing the brushes in a minimal amount of solvent work the residues out in the jar of oil. I have a throw away brush that I have been using for epoxy gluing for about six months now and it's still not stiffening.
Old 27-07-2021, 20:48   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I've always placed them in the freezer. Good for a few days. But like others, I generally use a foam disposable.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 04:52   #10

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Be careful about using the freezer - I put some 2 pack brushes in there and even though they were wrapped up it tainted lots of the food. My wife reminds me every now and then, after 35 years!
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 05:38   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
Be careful about using the freezer - I put some 2 pack brushes in there and even though they were wrapped up it tainted lots of the food. My wife reminds me every now and then, after 35 years!
She'll get over it....one day!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 08:57   #12

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I normally give them a light clean with white spirits then wrap the brush in tin foil. Will normally be good for a couple of days, just flick off the excess white spirit and pat dry with a clean cloth. The alternative is one of those paint/varnish brush boxes where you hang the brushes inside and it has some form of volatile liquid suspended in a felt pad inside, which prevents the paint/varnish from setting. expensive and I would want one for paint and another for varnish. Supposed to keep a brush useable for up to 6 months if I recollect. Only really cost effective if you are doing a lot of painting or varnishing over a long period.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 08:57   #13

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

In addition to following some of the techniques above I have also cut the brush handle so that it fits in the varnish or paint can and leave it in the can. when the can is still quite full this can be a bit of nuisance with paint on the handle but a disposable glove keeps that issue to a minimum.
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 09:26   #14

Two points: one. If you are going o spend the money to invest in a good varnish brush (I'm talking badger hair here or even top quality boar's bristle), then why wouldn't you invest the time to properly care for it? And two, if you are only going to use your good brush for the "final coat", why would you delay cleaning it? Are you going to let it sit for three months until your next "final coat"?
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 09:29   #15

Boat: Pearson 10M

A brush spinner is a really useful tool for cleaning brushes and rollers.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brushes, cleaning, varnish