Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2022, 15:42   #16

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy
Re: Stiff Gear Shifter (newbie in middle of nowhere...photos atached)

If you have an assistant you can hold the transmission end of the cable vertically and just keep spraying with penetrating oil while the other person works the shifter. A little bit of fluid will get in there. Often it’s just the ends that are corroded. Also check for anywhere the cable might be bent a bit too much when routed through, and is causing internal friction.

Good thing it’s not your tranny. So in the worst case you’ll still be able to shift gears it will just be a little bit Neanderthal
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 15:51   #17

Boat: Morgan Out Island 8.5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
If you have an assistant you can hold the transmission end of the cable vertically and just keep spraying with penetrating oil while the other person works the shifter. A little bit of fluid will get in there. Often it’s just the ends that are corroded. Also check for anywhere the cable might be bent a bit too much when routed through, and is causing internal friction.

Good thing it’s not your tranny. So in the worst case you’ll still be able to shift gears it will just be a little bit Neanderthal
Thanks! (Also for the PM). Yes that will be the project for tomorrow. Hoping it goes smooth. Even it it just makes things a bit better so I feel confident enough to continue on our itinerary instead of making a direct sail to the nearest civilization.
momo034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 15:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo034 View Post
Does it make sense to try and get some penetrating fluid in there too?
The cable inner is already free so lube is the best to use here. Dry lube is best for new cables but just use whatever you have, engine oil will work fine if you can get it into the cable. They also make tools for lubing cables which makes it easier when using spray type lubes. I highly recommend you pre lube your new cable with a dry lube prior to installation.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 16:04   #19

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The cable is full of gunk or junked. You can try to flush the cable with penetrating oil.
Old 21-03-2022, 12:18   #20

Boat: Morgan Out Island 8.5m

So I spent the morning yesterday disassembling everything. Cables were actually in pretty good shape with smooth action. I still tried to give them a shot of motor oil via the ziplock and tape funnel method for good measure. But once I had the cables off I found that the real culprit was with the lever mechanism itself. So I took that apart best I could but got a point where I was not co clear on how to continue with the disassembly and didnt want to make the situation worse somehow so I just lubed everything up best I could that I had disassembled and put it all back together and it's definitely way better. Back to how I remember it being when I bought her. So crisis averted. Thank you all for taking the time to respond, much appreciated and as always I learned a lot.
momo034 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, photo