Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2019, 18:57   #1

Boat: 1977 Viking 43 DCMY
Steering Wheel Size

I currently have an 18" wheel at my helm in a mostly horizontal position. Unfortunately, it extends out past the helm and as the captains chair is a bit close it makes it very difficult to sit. Chair is set back as far as it can but the wheel extends out a bit too far for comfort and gets in the way of my legs. Everything I have seen indicates a preference to replace a wheel with one of same size. I read a few that said it ok to change the size 1-2" inches.

Thoughts anyone? Was considering changing it out for a 15 1/2" wheel which would make it much more comfortable. But, I definitely do not want to do something which will reduce the boats control.

Thanks for your wisdom!

Dan
R1Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 19:28   #2

Re: Steering Wheel Size

Anybody who can come up with a "rule" that tells you how much you can change the wheel size is just blowing smoke. Like so many things "boat" the answer is "It Depends."

If you go from an 18" wheel to a 15.5 inch wheel the force needed to turn the wheel will increase by about 16%. Unless you have a pretty heavy helm feel now, that seems a pretty small change.

If you are worried about it, buy the new wheel from West Marine or other vendor with a generous return policy, try it, and if it sucks return it.

It ain't rocket science.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 19:38   #3

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Anybody who can come up with a "rule" that tells you how much you can change the wheel size is just blowing smoke. Like so many things "boat" the answer is "It Depends."

If you go from an 18" wheel to a 15.5 inch wheel the force needed to turn the wheel will increase by about 16%. Unless you have a pretty heavy helm feel now, that seems a pretty small change.

If you are worried about it, buy the new wheel from West Marine or other vendor with a generous return policy, try it, and if it sucks return it.

It ain't rocket science.
Couldnt agree more. I would buy from west marine, test it, then if found a cheaper price I'd go back and either request a price match and if they decline you, return it and buy it from the other vendor
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 19:41   #4

Boat: Nordic 44

Put some tape on the spokes of your current wheel at 15.5 inches. Try steering the boat with your hands at that point under a variety of conditions and situations. Can you steer comfortably? Can your significant other steer comfortably at that position? If yes replace it. Don't replace the wheel and then find out you don't have the strength to control the boat.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:22   #5

Boat: 1977 Viking 43 DCMY

Quote:

It ain't rocket science.
Thanks for that. Helm feel currently is very light to turn so I don't think force will be an issue. you are right I can always put the old one back on if I have an issue. Thanks!
R1Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:31   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

It ain't rocket science.

It really is simple.
Reduce the wheel diameter by half, double the force to turn it. You can call that a rule if you like.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size, steering, wheel