Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 09:46   #16

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Steam powered boat why not do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
That's not entirely true. Boiler tech was merged with machinist's mate. They are still responsible for the steam systems that power many nuclear vessels.
Yeah that's right! Nuclear vessels are all steam powered ships, unless there is some new technology that some converts nuclear power directly into electricity.

Nuclear power is extremely simple at it's core. Nuclear fuel reacts in a natural, uncontrolled reaction process to produce HEAT and other radiation, which is lost or converted to HEAT, then the heat is used to produce steam, which is used to drive steam engines - though most likely turbines, rather than piston engines.

This "uncontrolled" reaction can be influenced to some degree by external processes, but cannot be directly "controlled", which is why nuclear power systems remain complex and dangerous to operate. They cannot be simply turned "on" or "off".
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:00   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
That's not entirely true. Boiler tech was merged with machinist's mate. They are still responsible for the steam systems that power many nuclear vessels.

It is true. And as an ex Navy nuclear machinist mate, boilers have nothing to do with nuclear vessels! BTs stopped being part of the nuclear navy way back before even I was in 1979!

And nuclear is VERY controlled and controllable process!!!!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06   #18

So what do they call the system or parts that use the reactor's heat to produce steam?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
It is true. And as an ex Navy nuclear machinist mate, boilers have nothing to do with nuclear vessels! BTs stopped being part of the nuclear navy way back before even I was in 1979!

And nuclear is VERY controlled and controllable process!!!!
How do you stop a nuclear reaction? How long does it take?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:50   #20
CLOD

Quote:
So what do they call the system or parts that use the reactor's heat to produce steam?
A steam generator! Doesn't have a single moving part!

But you can call it anything you want, because what would I know.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:51   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I've always wanted a steam powered motorcycle...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steam-powered-motorcycle-1_69.jpg
Views:	1284
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	43203  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:54   #22
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
How do you stop a nuclear reaction? You drop the control rods!How long does it take? A fraction of a second!
[/COLOR]

Don't mix reality with movies and TV!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:36   #23

Quote:
[/COLOR]

Don't mix reality with movies and TV!
You're right. I forgot that Three Mile Island and Chernobyl were just movies!

Seriously though, I'll do some reading on this. I'm pretty sure that dropping the rods begins the process, but the actual stopping of the reactions take longer. When I get some leisure time I'll try to do some reading. I'm sure the technology is much different now than it was when those movies were released!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:45   #24
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
You're right. I forgot that Three Mile Island and Chernobyl were just movies!

Seriously though, I'll do some reading on this. I'm pretty sure that dropping the rods begins the process, but the actual stopping of the reactions take longer. When I get some leisure time I'll try to do some reading. I'm sure the technology is much different now than it was when those movies were released!

Do lots of reading as you don't know what you are talking about!!!!!! I trained 12 hours a day for over a year to become nuclear qualified so it may take you a few hours! But I'm sure you are right and I'm just all wrong!

When the rods are dropped the reactor is shutdown!!!!!!

3 Mile Island was at it's base problem a coolant leak and Chernobyl was going out of the way to cause an accident. Both those reactors were shutdown once the problem started. An accident at a nuclear plant doesn't make it a nuclear accident. To date there has never been a nuclear accident where the reactor caused the problem.

But I'm sure after all your "reading" you will know more than all the nuclear training and experience I have
Old 09-07-2012, 12:57   #25

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
A steam generator! Doesn't have a single moving part!

But you can call it anything you want, because what would I know.
So no blowers, no boiler water feed pump, no fuel delivery system?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:16   #26
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
So no blowers, no boiler water feed pump, no fuel delivery system?
no blowers, no fuel delivery system, yes a water fed pump

what's your point because if you want to you can call a tea kettle a boiler

"The source of heat for a boiler is combustion of any of several fuels, such as wood, coal, oil, or natural gas. Electric steam boilers use resistance- or immersion-type heating elements. Nuclear fission is also used as a heat source for generating steam, either directly (BWR) or, in most cases, in specialized heat exchangers called "steam generators" (PWR). Heat recovery steam generators (HRSGs) use the heat rejected from other processes such as gas turbines."

Anyway back to the OP, using coal to feed a boiler, to drive a turbine, to drive a reduction gear, to drive a shaft and turn a propeller, is just so much less efficient that burning diesel in an engine etc

It's right up there with using coal to fire a boiler, to make steam, to drive a turbine, to turn a generator, to make electricty, to be able to plug an electric car into a wall outlet. But this doesn't stop some people from thinking the electric car is a great idea (even though in the 70s & 80s before "Green" over rode everything else everyone knew this).
Old 09-07-2012, 13:18   #27

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Do lots of reading as you don't know what you are talking about!!!!!! I trained 12 hours a day for over a year to become nuclear qualified so it may take you a few hours! But I'm sure you are right and I'm just all wrong!

When the rods are dropped the reactor is shutdown!!!!!!

3 Mile Island was at it's base problem a coolant leak and Chernobyl was going out of the way to cause an accident. Both those reactors were shutdown once the problem started. An accident at a nuclear plant doesn't make it a nuclear accident. To date there has never been a nuclear accident where the reactor caused the problem.

But I'm sure after all your "reading" you will know more than all the nuclear training and experience I have

I agree that once the rods are in the reaction is shut down pretty much instantaneously. The quenching of the fission reaction does not however stop the production of heat associated with decay of the radioactive byproducts of the reaction. If coolant circulation fails the core can still get hot enough to melt down. Even the spent fuel rods which are no longer reacting must be kept covered with water lest they melt, which was the major source of the problem Japan had after the earthquake. While dropping the rods may stop the reaction that does not render a reactor safe.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:20   #28

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Steam-powered launch seen in Juneau earlier this year:

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:27   #29

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
no blowers, no fuel delivery system, yes a water fed pump

what's your point because if you want to you can call a tea kettle a boiler

"The source of heat for a boiler is combustion of any of several fuels, such as wood, coal, oil, or natural gas. Electric steam boilers use resistance- or immersion-type heating elements. Nuclear fission is also used as a heat source for generating steam, either directly (BWR) or, in most cases, in specialized heat exchangers called "steam generators" (PWR). Heat recovery steam generators (HRSGs) use the heat rejected from other processes such as gas turbines."

Anyway back to the OP, using coal to feed a boiler, to drive a turbine, to drive a reduction gear, to drive a shaft and turn a propeller, is just so much less efficient that burning diesel in an engine etc

It's right up there with using coal to fire a boiler, to make steam, to drive a turbine, to turn a generator, to make electricty, to be able to plug an electric car into a wall outlet. But this doesn't stop some people from thinking the electric car is a great idea (even though in the 70s & 80s before "Green" over rode everything else everyone knew this).
Your the one who said"no moving parts".

HMCS Restigouche: Babcock Wilcox 2 drum water tube boilers 550 psi@750 degrees super heat. I parked my ass in front of them when it was my watch.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:34   #30
CLOD

What is the moving part in the steam generator, other than water/steam?

But you all win as I already said "what would I know"?