Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2012, 13:29   #16

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'
Re: Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft View Post
We wash interior Teak with murphys soap and apply starbrite teak oil. Happy with outcome.

Awesome! How many coats do you put on and how long usually until you have to clean and re teak oil?

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 13:36   #17

Update:
After cleaning and drying I applied a very light coat of Starbrite tropical teak oil with a small rag, I went even lighter on veneer. After 5 minutes I wiped everything down with a clean rag and put a fan to it all. After 1 week the wood is finally dry and looks and feel wonderful.

The Starbrite Golden Teak Oil is easy to work with and has a pleasant smell. I plan to put one more coat, but really don't think a third will be neccessary.

I liked the ease of just wiping this stuff on. No sanding required. I'd be ok reapplying the oil once a year to the interior. See below a picture of the finished cabinets. They birghtened up nicely. The original and pre-oil/post-clean photo is at the beginning of the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinetssunpic.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	49061  

Old 31-10-2012, 14:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman375 View Post
Just to be clear we are now talking about two different products. Teak oil and tropical teak sealer. I've seen the sealer work well in southern latitudes, but probably needs a quick coat every 4-6 months. Much easier than varnish or Cetol and much better than oil of any sort.

Yes I started this thread asking about Tropical teak sealer, but you, I think told me not to use it (thanks!). So then I switched to Starbrite's Golden teak oil of the interior.

Old 31-10-2012, 16:34   #19

Boat: searching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibug View Post
Awesome! How many coats do you put on and how long usually until you have to clean and re teak oil?
We do not own that particular boat that long: We did it when we left port and one year later as maintenance. Some parts needed care earlier: where the sun hits or when we spilled some other stuff. Of course the bathroom was redone after 6 months. but the rest seams more than OK if done with 12 months in between. And that is just because we care - more lazy people would maybe happy with longer periods in between. But since I'm still capable to force my wife to do it annually I think thats just the right interval - and its done fair quickly. I think.....

Sorry forgot: Wash and one coat of oil. Thats all we (she) doe's.
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft View Post
We do not own that particular boat that long: We did it when we left port and one year later as maintenance. Some parts needed care earlier: where the sun hits or when we spilled some other stuff. Of course the bathroom was redone after 6 months. but the rest seams more than OK if done with 12 months in between. And that is just because we care - more lazy people would maybe happy with longer periods in between. But since I'm still capable to force my wife to do it annually I think thats just the right interval - and its done fair quickly. I think.....

Sorry forgot: Wash and one coat of oil. Thats all we (she) doe's.

Thanks alot! That is just the kind of review I was hoping for.

It's actually been really difficult to get a review on the Starbrite Golden Teak oil used on the interior. Everybody talks about the exterior. So far I really like the ease of "wipe on/wipe off". No sanding required. Once a year maintenance is doable and "Lucky" for us our boat is a Westsail 32 and lets very little light in compared to more modern boats with big portlights and hatches in the cabin top.

Tags
oil