Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2022, 05:35   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Spectra strikes again

Spectra watermakers get good reviews on the forum. To wit: We're back from a few days of roaming on the boat. First day out a popped hose sent our entire potable water supply into the bilge. Might have to head for shore, living off soda water in route.

I ignore and abuse our Spectra 160 gal/day watermaker. We've had little use for it since being in the Bahamas, because we're always within a day or two of good water. I've never flushed it, pickled it, or done any maintenance to it. I have not tested it in months. As usual, it cranked up, putting out about two minute's worth of sulphorus water followed by a steady stream of water better than our municipal supply (fewer ions) and just fine for gin and tonics. And, miracle of miracles, it did it without a fresh water feed to flush the brine.

I've never owned a different brand. But, watermakers are supposed to require babying, while this Spectra is bullet proof.
Old 13-05-2022, 08:48   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Spectra strikes again

And I thought I was bad, only flushing it with product water each use and leaving it for up to six months with never a problem for 22 years.
You outdid me !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 14:24   #3

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Not happy with Spectra right now. My very expensive Spectra watermaker is currently useless now because the Shurflo feed pump motor went out and Spectra can't source the part. No distributor has one in stock. I called corporate to see when they might become available. They said they have no idea. I asked if there was any substitute pump motor that could be used and the answer was no. I asked what they are recommending to their customers. They said sorry, nothing we can do. I asked if they can sell me the pump module off a new watermaker and the answer was no. I asked if I could speak to a supervisor or manager and I was told “I have no supervisor”. I asked if they are still making and selling new Spectra watermakers and the person got a little testy with me and wouldn't answer the question. So, basically I have a $9500 piece of useless metal taking up space in my boat.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 14:36   #4

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

our echo tech was the same. copped just as much and never complained.

i suspect the brands that require babying are actually in the minority...

cheers,
Old 19-05-2022, 14:40   #5

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChild View Post
Not happy with Spectra right now. My very expensive Spectra watermaker is currently useless now because the Shurflo feed pump motor went out and Spectra can't source the part. No distributor has one in stock. I called corporate to see when they might become available. They said they have no idea. I asked if there was any substitute pump motor that could be used and the answer was no. I asked what they are recommending to their customers. They said sorry, nothing we can do. I asked if they can sell me the pump module off a new watermaker and the answer was no. I asked if I could speak to a supervisor or manager and I was told “I have no supervisor”. I asked if they are still making and selling new Spectra watermakers and the person got a little testy with me and wouldn't answer the question. So, basically I have a $9500 piece of useless metal taking up space in my boat.
replacing a feed pump is quite easy (esp if it's 12v as seems yours is). any SW pump of suitable volume / pressure will do the job. replaced ours a while ago

10mins on google should do the trick

cheers,
Old 19-05-2022, 14:47   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, start looking in the agricultural supply places. (need to move water around)

Ann
Old 19-05-2022, 17:34   #7

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Yes, start looking in the agricultural supply places. (need to move water around)

Ann

Couldn't agree more with your's and crisr's comment.

Maybe start with contacting this crowd to see if they can supply a high pressure pump?

https://seawaterpro.com/

https://www.watermakers.com.au/contact-faq

https://www.danfoss.com/en/products/.../#tab-overview
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 18:03   #8

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChild View Post

That's awful. A classic Meatball Wiki: PowerAnswer

As posted upthread you should be able to substitute many other pumps
Old 20-05-2022, 09:02   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Maybe you ought to look at the problem not as "Spectra bad" but as, "who is the cause of the supply chain issues" for almost everything these days.
At least your baby isn't starving from lack of formula.
And no, I don't have any small children.
We had to wait over two months for a delivery of Vinyl Plank flooring.
Meanwhile, the price of a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood went from $35 to $150 and back down to $75 when our flooring finally arrived.

Thanks Brandon.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 10:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
replacing a feed pump is quite easy (esp if it's 12v as seems yours is). any SW pump of suitable volume / pressure will do the job. replaced ours a while ago

10mins on google should do the trick

cheers,
Is yours a Spectra system?
From what I read it is a fixed flow pump with an adjustable cutout switch that must be adjusted to 125psi by pressure gauge before installation. The mechanism of the Clark intensifier pump that it feeds apparently needs the cutout to occur at precisely that pressure to function properly. Not sure if just being close to spec is good enough or will it damage Clark pump. Still researching.
Old 20-05-2022, 10:56   #11

Boat: Adams 45

Check with https://haldenMarineService.com/. He has been the forum's Spectra expert for many years.
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 09:03   #12

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Maybe you ought to look at the problem not as "Spectra bad" but as, "who is the cause of the supply chain issues" for almost everything these days.

Spectra depends on niche products to a greater degree than other watermakers. With anything else you can drop in any pressure washer pump and it will work. Spectra's boost pump is a purple unicorn 12v 80 PSI vane pump. Yes there are substitutes, but it's not as straightforward a search.
Old 31-05-2022, 16:39   #13

I am happy to report that Spectra management reached out to me to address the issue. They were very professional and courteous. They apologized for the frustrating experience I had earlier and then immediately shipped me a new pump. I am definitely back to highly recommending their company and product.