Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 08:53   #1

Boat: Fountain Pajot Saona 47
Spares List?

While I am waiting for delivery of my new catamaran, I am thinking about a spares list. While I know to stock extra filters, impellers, belts (for 2 engines, genset and dink engine?), traveler parts, line, tubing, clamps, fuses, wire, etc; I am curious as to:

(1) what you experienced cruiser's have all seen fail out there where you wish you had a spare, and

(2) what spares do you have that have never been used?

Some are more critical than others and would be good insurance, but I am thinking along the lines of spare solenoids, starter switches, relays, alternators (diodes, brushes), water pumps, fuel pump, bilge pumps, starter motors, anchor swivel, refer compressors/refrigerant?, etc.

The intention is to cruise the U.S. east coast to shakedown, then live-aboard and ocean transits.

My boat is an FP catamaran with two Yanmar 80's, an Onan 13.5kw genset, factory air conditioning, not sure yet, but thinking a Spectra watermaker, and the rest of the usual stuff.

I'll save for another post on general equipage, etc, like hull plugs, patch kits, drogues, ditch bag items, LifeSling, handheld vhf's etc.

I have a number of months, but it's nice to shop for this stuff as sales and discounts pop up!

Thank you in advance
jimglasair3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:15   #2
cruiser

Re: Spares List?

1. Water pumps for watermaker, freshwater system, refrigeration.
2. Electric toilet macerator pumps (although we’ve never had one fail).
3. Engine starter motor (but you already have a spare engine).
4. Generator starter motor.
5. Self sealing rescue tape.
6. Large variety of electrical connectors, especially butt connectors.
7. Assortment of stainless cotter pins and nuts, bolts and screws.
8. Engine oil
9. Antifreeze
10. Extensive tool kit
11. Oil filters
12. Spectra filters
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:25   #3

Boat: 1971 Rhodes "Discoverer" - 44' Motorsailer

Bilge pump and float switch. I have three of each, and have to replace one or the other every year or two.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:45   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523 (2005)

I’m going through the same exercise (monohull though) right now in prep for offshore. I have spares for the engine and genset (lots of filters, hoses, starters, all the correct fluids, etc).

I’m focused more on my ability to sail. So all new standing and running rig, spare lines (Dyneema) to use as makeshift standing, spare halyards / sheets, old sails as backups. Spare parts to rebuild winches and winch grease.

Also just ordered an emergency rudder and a spare steering cable, and spare pump and ram for autopilot. Steering seems pretty important to me and often not considered.

I’ve installed four bilge pumps and redundant fresh pumps - I prefer them deployed and ready as my “spares”. My bilge pumps also operate on low water (standard pump) and high water (high volume with alarm) and the other two are fore and aft on independent battery banks.

Countless amounts of stainless hardware, blocks, shackles, wire and lugs, hoses etc.

Redundant GPS and redundant comms (two VHF, sat phone in grab bag with backup batteries, Go! and SSB for weather and emails. Designed electronics network so I can unplug a jammed net and still have GPS and autopilot working.

Lots of stuff for handling leaks - emergency wrap tape, tubs of that gunk you jam into a hole, wood pegs and a big rectangle of sailcloth with massive eyes on the corners to “slide” under the boat if we get a hull breach to reduce water flow.

Two massive storm anchors (Spade @ 100 lbs and Mantus @ 125 lbs) with one all chain and one chain+rope. Plus two fortress - one light weight for kedging and one storm in storage.

Lots of attention also on safety and storm gear (raft, hydro epirb on boat, handheld epirb in ditch), all vests with strobe, whistle, and AIS SART. Lift raft, and JSD (drogue) with custom chain plates attached to hull to handle the load. Multiple MOB systems (throw ring, lifesling, MOB pole with AIS SART).

Did I mention I’m now broke and can’t afford to go? (not really but cash burn has been stunning)

I’ll be the first to admit I’m likely going overboard on safety ... but it’s our priority - everyone makes their own tradeoffs (and our boat is big enough to store it all)

Maybe most important ... don’t forget the spare beer!
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:53   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

For review

https://goo.gl/WuyQzF
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:09   #6

Boat: Fountain Pajot Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Dang good link... good thing I can sail and turn a wrench better than I can search on a computer!

Thank you!
jimglasair3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 13:13   #7
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Happy to help
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 11:17   #8

May be the first question to ask before writing a spares list is : "how to get prepared to make do without this or that spare one thinks one "may" need..."
wilparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 17:48   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

We set off in an old boat and we did not use any spares. What we needed we did not have onboard and we had to do without. Only few thing ever broke. An exhaust elbow, a toilet pump, a steering cable, a mast tang. All fixed underway without spares. The mast tang was the biggest headache.

HOWEVER if the boat is new there will be many things that will fail. Then I would have keep some spares for the most crucial equipment.

- a freshwater pump,
- a toilet repair spares kit,
- etc.

Today there are shops everywhere. Just buy what breaks, fix and go on.

What we did carry onboard was wood/glass/epoxy/5200/alloy/bolts/nuts/ etc. And the basic tools to cut/drill/machine the materials.

You can fix very many things with some very basic materials and tools.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote