Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 10:18   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31
Southern Cross 31

I brought this boat to scotland from north carolina, and now have it out of the water. I want to re fit it to the original factory spec, it was bought as a hull and deck the the original owner and I dont like the layout. Where can I get plans and dimensions.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:45   #2

Re: Southern Cross 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantical View Post
I brought this boat to scotland from north carolina, and now have it out of the water. I want to re fit it to the original factory spec, it was bought as a hull and deck the the original owner and I dont like the layout. Where can I get plans and dimensions.
Easy. Use your fav search engine for southern cross 31 sailboat. Select 'Images' instead of 'Web'. Should be some plans in the photos. At least there were some that could be construed as layouts for your boat.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

I have tried the web, I do get an image of the layout, but, its not detailed, and dosent give any sizes, It just gives an idea of what the origina layout is like.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantical View Post
I have tried the web, I do get an image of the layout, but, its not detailed, and dosent give any sizes, It just gives an idea of what the origina layout is like.
I believe this is the norm. You could install linux and a free, open source program called LibreCadd on your computer. Then, either download the plan image or take a screenshot. Using the also free, opensource image editing program called Inkscape, export the image into an .svg or bitmap (.bmp) format LibreCADD can use.

You know the L.O.A. or length on deck, so can use it as a base measurement to extrapolate approximately other dimensions in the drawing.

See this for a primer on LibreCADD:

LibreCAD users Manual - LibreCAD wiki
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 14:49   #5

Is there a Southern Cross yahoo group? Or any other type of organization? I dont tend to be a fan of double enders, but I think the Southern Cross is beautiful. Good Luck with it. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote