Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 08:42   #1

source for teak

Hello, every one. I have been trying to locate a source for exterior trim wood for my new to me Menger Catboat. She is a beauty, but could use a little tlc, as befits and almost 30 year old. Specifically, I need to mount a compass to the bulkhead which has some odd cutouts from past radio/depthfinder installlations. I think a nice piece of teak about 8"x8" would do nicely, but I am having a hard time finding something so wide. Any ideas would be great

Gary

Sou'r Puss

Oneida Lake, NY
boomvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:34   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: source for teak

Boomvang,

There are sellers of many different types of wood around. Real teak is getting very difficult to find - overcutting and sustainability issues. Several wooden boat boatyards around here substitute mahogany with excellent results. I forget which type is a better color/grain match but many people cannot tell the difference when they see if they do not have a trained eye. It weathers very well.

Can get teak veneer and then edge trim it with smaller strips of teak but it is not suitable outside in the elements.

The best source for a variety of wood in the Pacific Northwest is www.edensaw.com I know they ship. I am sure there are other suppliers in your neck of the woods, especially in Maine.

Good luck
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:42   #3

you might check around boatyard shops, an 8 x 8 piece is mostly worthless to them. How thick does it need to be? Could you use a sealed piece of teak ply with trim around the edges?
Or a piece of Starboard is an option.... I can look in my teak remnant pile but not too sure I have 8 x 8

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:15   #4

Boat: Nassau 34

Been buying teak from these guys for about 3 years.
Teak Furniture and Accessories / Diamond Teak
they sell lumber in addition to their finished furniture. Check them out on ebay. Their an importer of teak from renewable forests in central America. Yes it is new groth but still beautiful.

Lumber Dealers | Mays Landing, NJ
he has a good supply of finished molding and lumber. Used to do all the teak work for the local boat companies back when they used to make boats in South Jersey- Eggharbour, Viking, etc.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:13   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Another source would be Frost Hardwood Lumber Company | Quality Wood and Related Products for the Woodworking Industry in San Diego. Although if you can locate, & get in touch with a few boatbuilders in your area, or otherwise, odds are they'll give you such a piece for free, or at most a 6-pack. And a lot of the lumber distributors mentioned might be kind enough to give you some POC's.
Also, try both the Wooden Boat Forums, as well as the periodical of the same name (especially the classifieds section in the back).

If you're not 100% set on teak, take a look at Sapelle & Meranti, including/especially in Marine Ply form. They're gorgeous woods, often enough used both for hull construction, as well as interior joinery. And... a decent percentage of Marine Lumber distributors will give you sample pieces of about the size which you're looking for, for free.
- Well, kind of free. Perhaps a better term is, to be used as stock in order you to compare them for use on other, & or larger projects. Kind of like you can get small pieces of tile to take home from a place which sells home remodeling materials.

Also, try; dumpsters @ boatyards & marinas, posting "wanted" notices (online & on bulletin boards)... you'll find some cheap, or gratis, long prior to running out of ideas & resources.

PS: Wisdom would suggest that you post that you've found what you're after, when you find it, or you may be deluged (almost akin to The Great Flood) with responses.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 17:54   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
you might check around boatyard shops, an 8 x 8 piece is mostly worthless to them.
Agreed. We were on the hard for several months last year and they happened to be building some really upscale boats across from us. At the end of the day I would go dumpster diving and find lots of useful teak and other materials they would just toss out.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 18:25   #7

Great ideas, all. I don't have any boat builders around here, if anyone knows of the whereabouts of a nice piece of teak or mahogony, it could be anywhere from 7"x9" and up, and at least 3/8" thick, I would be willing to pay a reasonable amountvia paypal.
It is difficult to obtain such a small amount from most vendors I've contacted.
Thanks again

Gary
boomvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 18:37   #8

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

teak lumber | eBay

ebay is ur friend
Old 10-02-2015, 19:28   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Johnson's Workbench.

Google on line for teak. Tiny pieces are easy. Big stuff can come from teak recyclers.

Consider specialty hardwood furniture and craft suppliers. We have several in Grand Rapids, Michigan , Traverse City.

Consider an alternate such as Ipe. Many tropical hardwoods make great trim and are equally or more oily and weather resistant than teak. I have had access to a lot of Jarah I have used for rails on our boat. It never needs as much attention as teak. Ipe is nearly permanently weather proof & brown with no attention at all.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote