Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 05:03   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran
Re: Some Recent Thermal Images from Surveys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Suenos Azules,

Thank you for posting those pics. I'd only heard the words before, didn't know what you'd actually get.

Ann
You are welcome. This technology is unknown to most and some even down the technology, but if the user is trained, it is pure science and shows exactly what the issues are.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:38   #17
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We had SuenosAzules survey our last catamaran, a PDQ 36. Best survey we have had done or attended, and that's quite a few!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:12   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

To most this technology is unknown. I also advise that anyone using the thermal imaging camera to scan your vessel or vessel's engine be at least a level one certified thermographer.

Thanks! Interesting and I think you summed it up about a certified person.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:13   #19

Boat: Union 36

Great post, very informative. Thank you.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:52   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

John, those S1..S4 points in the images? Is that post-processing in the computer, or a feature on the camera? (What camera?)
It looks like you can assign four points on the image, and the software will actually match the colors [sic] up to tell the exact temperature at those points for you?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:17   #21

Do you have any images (pre-repair) of delamination on the hull? I would be very interested to see what that picture looks like. I'm sure using the IR is better than just banging on the hull with a hammer.
mcneilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:53   #22

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

Thank you for those pictures. Very cool and was unknown to me. I will look to get somebody like that on my next survey. Very much appreciated and defines why I love the CF.
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 14:01   #23
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Suenos Azules,

Thank you for posting those pics. I'd only heard the words before, didn't know what you'd actually get.

Ann

Ann, yer slacking! I've posted thermal imagery before. These appear to have been taken at ambient temps. For serious NDT, usually you enclose the boat and heat it up for some time. Then you take pics as it cools. Dissimilar rates of cooling make for far more revealing images.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 16:37   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Ann, yer slacking! I've posted thermal imagery before. These appear to have been taken at ambient temps. For serious NDT, usually you enclose the boat and heat it up for some time. Then you take pics as it cools. Dissimilar rates of cooling make for far more revealing images.

I must be slack, as you say. Thanks for the input.

While it may be better to enclose the boat and heat it up for some time, what Suenos Azules is doing is incorporating it as part of the tools he brings to doing *everyday* surveying. When I see especially newbies, but basically sailors who don't know very much having boats surveyed, I see a lot of bewilderment. The imaging SA does, if he explains to the customer, makes the concepts easier to understand. I am in favor of people becoming more knowledgeable about their boats.

Sorry to have let you down.

Ann
Old 12-06-2015, 17:48   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuenosAzules View Post
I just make thermal imaging part of most of my surveys. It only helps me do a better job. I do not charge extra, but if it is just thermal imaging work with no survey, my rate is typically $95.00 an hour.
Thats pretty reasonable. Ive been drooling over the FLIR stuff, but the only way could afford it is if you adopt me. Did you know they have onenow that does an IR overlay of the NV technology....starts at 20K but you cant have one if your not SF.

Nice photos, btw.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 02:14   #26

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Thanks for posting this. I've got questions, but they'll have to wait until I'm properly caffeinated
This equipment is definitely a Lot different from the gear I've used. Makes me curious to want to play with it, that's for sure.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 04:18   #27

You A few years back I was working on a high rise building project and we had a sales rep come through and show off one of these imaging units, I think the same kind.

He was pushing it as a PM tool for mechanical equipment because you could see for example when a bearing on a pump was producing too much heat as a predictor of failure.

Unlike the old-school FLIR which required active cooling, these new ones are more related to the point-and-shoot infrared thermometers except that instead of a single-point sensor there is a pixelated chip more like what you have in a digital camera.

You will notice the image resolution isn't very big with these things.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 05:33   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
You A few years back I was working on a high rise building project and we had a sales rep come through and show off one of these imaging units, I think the same kind.

He was pushing it as a PM tool for mechanical equipment because you could see for example when a bearing on a pump was producing too much heat as a predictor of failure.

You will notice the image resolution isn't very big with these things.
I can't at the moment recall where the thread is, but from what I understand, a lot of companies which insure larger (Mega/Gucci) yachts, are requiring that a good bit of the ship's electrical systems are gone over with these. Since, because they see heat, they're useful to spot electrical components & systems which are most likely to start fires. A handy thing, without question.
Plus, they're used in evaluating engines, in a lot of aspects.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 15:55   #29

hello SuenosAzules
I tried to send you my contact info by PM however it says ONLY TRUSTED MEMBERS CAN SEND PM

Please PM me your info should you wish, We are looking for a Leopard and Located here in Marathon Florida Keys

AND NOW How does one become a Trusted Member ????

Coconut Sunrise
Traumagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 18:11   #30

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Great Pics... I worked for FLIR and can attest to their commitment to improving their product while making it more affordable. Checkout their site for more great video.

FLIR cameras saved many lives spotting IEDs in Iraq. How? seeing footprints on the sand of course... USCG uses for ocean rescue. Truck drivers in Canada and Alaska have FLIRs mounted to avoid moose and caribou...

Tags
images, survey