Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2012, 10:10   #1

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
Solid PVC vinyl wall covering with fabric backing adhesive?

I picked up a huge roll of this off the street for free.
It has an attractive pattern, backside is cotton and had some mold so I bleached and washed what I was going to use for this project. It came 100% clean.
So I glued it on to the wood with some contact cement.
I applied the glue to the wood only and pressed the vinyl into the glue and lifted it off to dry since I did not want to oversaturate the vinyl wall covering.
It worked but this is not the right glue for the vinyl. I noticed the adhesive fumes was softening the PVC vinyl. It has dried on and looks ok anyway. The problem is it swells the vinyl and when you glue it down can get a ridged look. Stretching it taught did help a lot.

What other adhesive would be better for this vinyl wall covering? I was thinking Henry 430 made for floor tiles.
Likely the normal adhesive is some kind of water based paste. But dont like the idea on a boat since it will get wet. This applied section is on the plywood underside of the flybridge top covering board. I was thinking to line the interior cabinet floors up on the flybridge with this wall covering and perhaps also the outer exposed part of the seat boxes next to the captain chair.
It is like an instant nice surface.

very large roll

glued onto the plywood.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 11:18   #2

Re: Solid PVC vinyl wall covering with fabric backing adhesive?

When I had a similar project -- repairing a water-damaged ceiling panel--- I glued the re-used existing plastic fabric to the new plywood panel using 3M spray-on adhesive.
It works fine for the surface area - not so great on the edges but mine are hidden when the panel is fixed in place.
Chris
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 11:50   #3

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
Use vinyl over vinyl wall paper adhesive. Can be found on any good paind store. It is water based but after dry it will hold well some moisture and is much easyer to work with than contact cement. I have installed it on several large yachts. YouTube has good how to videos.
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 14:53   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Solid PVC vinyl wall covering with fabric backing adhesive?

I had the same thing happen to me years ago, and it was worse if I placed the vinyl prematurely (in case I needed to shift it).

What I found worked best was a water based contact cement made by 3M. IIRC, it cost about 3 times the other, but Covered twice as much. The lack of noxious fumes is a real plus.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive, fabric