Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 15:28   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Solar blocking window film?

Only the various advice from manufacturers and chemical suppliers (i.e. Windex says "generally no, because of the ammonia") that say to avoid all petrochemicals on plastic glazing. If you are unsure of exactly which material was used (since all acrylics or polycarbonates are not the same) or what solvents are in the product, the advice is to just use water-based products.
Apparently there are a number of issues, like "How much windex did you use? Did you wipe it off quickly?" that can affect whether there really is or isn't any problem, so it isn't black and white. And if the bottle of Windex has been sitting around for a year, a lot of the ammonia may have broken down. You may notice Windex just doesn't work as well once it gets old, that's one reason why.
I don't know what 'wax with cleaner' might be. In car waxes, there is often a fine polishing grit or other mechanical "cleaner" which would also eventually mar plastics.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 15:44   #32

This Mermaid product is the best Plexiglas cleaner that I have found.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 18:47   #33

Boat: Shopping

I had the 3M Crystalline put in my car (went on the inside). I think it is a great product. It comes in a variety of tints, from almost clear to dark. While the darker tints are a little better for UV and heat rejection, not much. I think the tint is more about aesthetics and privacy.

Here in Texas, you're not aupposed to tint your windshield (absent a medical condition) so I didn't. But I did do the rear glass, about the same angle as the front. On a hot summer day, the dash under the windshield can get too hot to touch. Under the rear window, it gets warm, but not even hot. The difference is remarkable.

It was expensive, about $500, including installation.

redsky49's point is important. Glass is a much higher percentage of the skin of the cabin of a car than the glass on the boat is. Given the heat pouring in through the other surfaces, you might not notice the effect of tinting the glass.

But, tinting the glass will block the UV, and that might greatly increase the life of the surfaces and fabrics that the UV will otherwise destroy.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 18:58   #34

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

When I was trying to find if wax is good or bad I found ammonia and alcohol to be bad. And yes wax with what they are calling cleaner was probably just buffing material.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 02:05   #35

Smile Re: Solar blocking window film?

I had my window tinted by protection plus(Security Window Film Installation Toronto | Protection Plus). Try solar gard. It is an energy efficient window film. It prevents the heat to enter and also prevents the cold during the winter. It is made up of polyester that prevents the harmful uv rays . It blocks the uv rays up to 99%. It reduces your utility bill and saves about 5-15% the energy.
tommyprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 03:26   #36

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Truly sliding shades work better for all cases.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 08:16   #37

We used a virtually clear solar control window film on our boat, you can see through it fine and the stats say it rejects about 70% of heat build up (from memory) - It was one of these 3 (can't quite remember which one).

https://www.windowfilm.co.uk/buy-onl...gh-window-film

https://www.windowfilm.co.uk/buy-onl...um-window-film

https://www.windowfilm.co.uk/buy-onl...70-window-film
AllAboardAndy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, wind