Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 22:22   #1

Boat: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
SoCal or N. Baja Interior Refit Recommendations Needed

Hi,

I'm considering the purchase of a 47' cutter that will need an interior refit - lots of varnish, some carpentry, a lot of hinge/latch repair, some paint, etc. etc. Also new cushions/mattresses. Nothing particularly tricky, but lots of hours of work.

Anyone have recommendations on local yards or (preferably) individuals who could do some or all of the work? I don't need to win any awards, but want quality work that will last.

I'm also considering moving the boat down to Ensenada if that will reduce the cost substantially. Any recommendations there? I've heard mixed reviews on Baja Naval.

Thanks in advance!
Junglebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 22:27   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Re: SoCal or N. Baja Interior Refit Recommendations Needed

Interior refit while in a yard sounds miserable and expensive.
There are quality people in La Paz to do it, where you can have the boat in a slip for the work. Good sized cruising community.
Old 22-12-2019, 11:37   #3

Boat: Baltic 43

Hello, I have similar story, teak deck repairs along with interior teak work from staining. I have been in contact with Baja Naval for some time with my previous boat but never brought it there. In 2016 a teak deck was $160 sq ft installed 3/4 thick. This price included removal of old deck. Considering that having yard rate north of the border being, at least woodwork, at $120-$145hr and Baja being around $30 the only question is of course quality. I would be interested in any cruisers with recent work. I just received email from Diego Sanchez and I will ask for recent customers and post my findings here. Thx
John
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 14:22   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Not real recent but took a 1949 Kettenburg 38 to Baja Naval in Ensenada for a complete refit. Down to bare wood and refinish with a fair amount of structural work. Very professional and excellent work. Ditto Minggat comment on La Paz.
Zzmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 17:31   #5

Boat: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler

I brought my 1970 Willard 36 trawler to Baja Naval almost exactly one year ago. Rates Diego quoted via email more than doubled once I got there. Some may be understandable - seeing in person is different than pictures. But much wasn't. Brand new hard top fabrication more than doubled. Plus it took two months to get quotes and never received all of them. In my opinion the $30/hr rate on their website is fantasy.

Check out www.NizaMarine.com. Mario@nizamarine.com. Tell him Peter on Weebles sent you. They are busy for the next few months but I've had a great run with them. Honest, smart, easy to work with. Quality is decent. Full boat paint job is less than half what Baja Naval quoted, as was hard top fabrication. Also having significant interior work being done. If you drive down, you can see Weebles under construction. Below is mockup of new v-berth to replace old quarter berth to check measurements (this area was the old head).

Good luck.

Peter Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191205_155043.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	205615
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 17:41   #6

Fiberglass work from Niza Marine. These benches are new - they replace a single thwart bench. I also had some rot on the caprail so had them encapsulate the caprail in fiberglass and will paint a contrasting color of LPU (AlexSeal in my case). You can also see the uprights of the hard top. Folks, this vessel is 50 years old had dozens of old holes that needed patching - old instruments, etc. Middle picture shows the old bench cut away and gives some idea of work to cleanup. Third Pic is one of four fiberglass tanks that were fabricated to replace two old steel tanks (400-gals total capacity).

These guys are pretty good. Costs are definitely reasonable. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191206_161400.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	205616Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190508-WA0000.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	205617Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190516-WA0003.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	205618
Old 26-12-2019, 14:51   #7

Boat: Baltic 43

thanks for the posts, just sent Niza Marine an email. also emailed Guillermo at La costa boatworks, and this is what i got for a new teak deck.
he bills at 25hr.
120 dollars per square ft including labor and materials, 5/8” thick Asian teak, vertical grain, 99% free of knots, lengths between 8 to 10 ft, using existing deck designs.
Removal of parts on deck like hatches, tracks, etc will be extra.

Baja Naval is 30hr and two years ago i had $160sq ft. for removal of old deck and install of new teak.

i'm looking for resonable rates but quality of job is my first concern. reason i'm looking for new teak, grade A installed and how it turned out.
thanks
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 01:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Fiberglass work from Niza Marine. These benches are new - they replace a single thwart bench. I also had some rot on the caprail so had them encapsulate the caprail in fiberglass and will paint a contrasting color of LPU (AlexSeal in my case). You can also see the uprights of the hard top. Folks, this vessel is 50 years old had dozens of old holes that needed patching - old instruments, etc. Middle picture shows the old bench cut away and gives some idea of work to cleanup. Third Pic is one of four fiberglass tanks that were fabricated to replace two old steel tanks (400-gals total capacity).

These guys are pretty good. Costs are definitely reasonable. Attachment 205616Attachment 205617Attachment 205618
Unfortunately, I can no longer recommend Niza Marine. They were unable to finish work, their workmanship became awful, and the delays beyond horrible. Their subcontractors were inexperienced and caused much damage that had to be redone.

I am sorry I met Mario and Niza Marine.
Old 13-09-2021, 07:05   #9

Boat: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Unfortunately, I can no longer recommend Niza Marine. They were unable to finish work, their workmanship became awful, and the delays beyond horrible. Their subcontractors were inexperienced and caused much damage that had to be redone.

I am sorry I met Mario and Niza Marine.
So sorry to hear this! What changed? I had thought you had been pretty satisfied with them overall once your refit was complete.

I had been contemplating them as an option for pulling up our teak decks at some point down the line so good to know if they've lost the plot.
Junglebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 08:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglebike View Post
So sorry to hear this! What changed? I had thought you had been pretty satisfied with them overall once your refit was complete.

I had been contemplating them as an option for pulling up our teak decks at some point down the line so good to know if they've lost the plot.
Refit is not complete - I stopped work a few months ago and have only recently restarted with a different team in Ensenada

All I can say is I am really sorry I hired Niza. Things started out okay, but four things changed:
1. Quality of work became awful. Niza Marine is two people plus subcontractors: Mario, who speaks excellent English but knows little about boats; and Luis who is a good carpenter and fiberglass guy - he's really pretty good. I suspect that when Covid hit, Luis found other work so Niza was a side-job. Mario replaced him with very poor quality workmen. Ensenada, while a bit city, is a small marine industry. I have since talked to a few tradesmen who will not work with Niza which, if true, explains the poor quality work.
2. Poor project management. Last November, we agreed on a punch-list of 53 items. As of last month, 4 items were complete. Work was done out of sequence - the salon floor was refinished (poorly) before the engine work was complete; the boat was painted before new deck-drains and scuppers were installed. So a lot of work needs to be redone. And a lot of stuff disappeared. I had to threaten to call the police before they 'found' my outboard motor. Cables/brackets are missing. A hydraulic helm pump. They left my dinghy in the water for months so it has a long beard of hard-growth.
3. Lack of transparency, and (IMO) integrity issues. Full updates dried-up, I stopped getting detailed photos, and the people who were supposed to be working on my boat were working elsewhere. Consequently, yard-fees racked-up and equipment went out of warranty. For whatever reason, Mario just could not admit mistakes.
4. Short-cuts, lack of marine knowledge. The attached picture is the underside of one of my caprail-mounted mooring cleats. There should be 4 bolts with a backing plate. Only two bolts, one with a fender washer, the other with just the nut. When they did the non-skid, they just painted over deck-fills so the paint needs to be chipped-out to get the caps off. The electrician totally disregarded the detailed wiring diagram and wasted tons of money and ripped-up cabinetry. Similar experience with their mechanic who I fired last February.

The sad part is this was entirely workable, except the main Niza person (Mario) steadfastly refused to acknowledge any issues and only had excuses. If you were to ask him, he'd say "He (me) told us to stop work in February!!" Which is true - I did. That's when I figured out the Mechanic was incompetent, the bottom job was not done properly, and when I figured out his crew was working on another boat at same time while I racked-up lay-days (coincidentally, the 'other job' was a teak deck job that is being completed by a different company).

Hope your project goes well. Mine will be fine, but is woefully delayed.

Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleat.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	245215
Old 20-09-2021, 11:39   #11

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

My Boat is in Baja Naval as we speak. 38 foot Beneteau. The original quote was for $3700 to strip the bottom and 3 barrier coats plus bottom paint. There were 16 Blister that needed to be repaired about 10 needed new FG to fill. There are a couple of things that happened that were a bit suspicious but so far doing a great job on the bottom. I will let you all know when the final bill comes in. BTW They told me $26 an hour labor when I had them quote refinishing 4 1X2 teak handrails
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja, cal, interior, men, refit