Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2021, 14:42   #1

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
So you want to sail oceans and found a used boat...

I notice that a common post in here is someone new asking advice about the kind of boat they'll need to fulfill their dream of sailing the globe.

The person new to sailing has in mind a price range to buy a used boat, maybe even a type of boat, or even a specific make and model, or even the actual boat ... and asks the forum _I saw a sweet 1988 Passport 40 I really like, what are your thoughts about it as a live-aboard bluewater cruiser_

And then the old salts here rightfully caution that the purchase is when the real work begins to make a used, older boat capable of safely carrying you to your bluewater dreams.

For anyone who's ever wondered how that looks, I offer this piece about a couple who knew what they were getting into, but didn't know what they didn't know. They do the work, learn the lessons, and even figure out how to use the expertise of the yard without paying it to do the work.

I've seen a lot of these kinds of stories, but this one just, I dunno, got me. Maybe it's the part where they figure out how to make a chainplate not leak next time. Hopefully, if you're a person new to sailing, you find it inspirational, and not intimidating.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/story/...jEgIs8T-1YE125
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 10:39   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: So you want to sail oceans and found a used boat...

Speaking to the general case, the Newbie usually needs to know that he/she has a long learning and envelope expanding curve to climb before heading off on a circumnavigation, while not being discouraged from dreaming and starting that journey. The Newbie also needs to be warned that purchasing a project boat can actually prevent pursuing that dream.
Old 30-01-2021, 10:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: So you want to sail oceans and found a used boat...

Quote:
[For our marine adhesive sealant, we used white UV-resistant Sikaflex Marine 295. Working with this stuff is *basically like working with the insides of a well-toasted marshmallow.

I think we have all been there as a right of passage, that and trying to find a use for that little bit of left over epoxy before it sets.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, used boat