Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 21:29   #31

Boat: Columbia 50
Re: So how do I varnish these louvres?

I’ll look into those recommended brushes, was also thinking of trying a prevail (have used those with paint & gelcoat before)

I only stripped the one side (the exterior) as the insides are are in good shape, so no plans to do both sides as some suggested. The insides are also screened, so a bit of a run wouldn’t be critical, also though I will check that I don’t go over the top, and start running down the interior slats.

Update - Just took a pic of the inside, and it appears the slats were probably sprayed....lame job though - not at all smooth....hope I can do better

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0A2ADF1B-8796-49DA-BC98-F4D15310C224.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	214612  
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 22:19   #32

The sanding that looks to be required here is what would be intimidating for me.
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 22:26   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sand with the grain. Take the amount of sandpaper that would fit on a sanding block, and fold it in quarters, so that you wind up with a stiff piece, then work along the grain, one hand on each side. ....until you get the teak looking raw again. The new varnish will keep it looking nice.

Ann
Old 08-05-2020, 04:45   #34

I'd follow the advice a friend gave me years ago and apply the finish by spraying it on by what ever means is available once you're happy with sanding. The key is to do it with the door upside down so that any runs end up on the back.
Rod B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:23   #35

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

What about old school and use a rag to apply? Never tried it as my teak is in easy to get places, but you'd need skinny fingers.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:48   #36

I prefer to use Wipe on Poly. That or spray.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:33   #37

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
I’ve managed to strip all the old, nasty, alligatored varnish off my louvered companionway doors.....so how do I varnish the things?

Each door has 26 slats, only about 1/4 inch gaps between them.

Artist brushes? Some kind of foam pad? I’ve got a stock JENS foam brush in the picture for scale....

Matt
I think you should clean the wood well and lighten the color abit.
There seems to be blue algae impregnated in it.
Common theme.
Teak cleaner, and sand with 220.
I used 3/4" chip brush thinned the Cetol, for the first coat, I assume your going to do the inside as well.
Just coat everything well, then use a paper napkin to carefully wipe any excess drips off the louvres edges, then turn upside down allowing gravity to release any trapped Cetol.
Next coat, as Cetol is pretty thick, coat carefully the louvres, being sure not to put to much on at once.
Again, turn over and wipe with the brush, any drips.
Coat this way as much as you'd like.
Cetol needs no sanding between coats, until you leave it for a period of time
I think it's a week.
It will turn out great if you take the time, and use thin coats.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:40   #38

As I said earlier, it's very doable. Thin 1" brush, light light coat of varnish on the brush. You just need to do more coats like that. Spraying will just run to the end junctions and not help avoid the runs. Then you'll have to brush the spray anyway. Ever try to spray into the corner of like a wood box? The turbulence doesn't work well.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:24   #39
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
I’ve managed to strip all the old, nasty, alligatored varnish off my louvered companionway doors.....so how do I varnish the things?

Artist brushes? Some kind of foam pad? I’ve got a stock JENS foam brush in the picture for scale....

Matt
Very patiently!

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 17:54   #40

Boat: 1977 GulfStar 40 (Ted Hood)

Well you have the wood nice and clean but with Varnish it will be very dark. I recommend you do some sanding of both slats, rails, and styles. I realize it is easy to sand all the flat parts...but if you take a paint stirring stick and contact cement it on the stick with only one overlap you have then a great sanding tool. 150 grit will remove most of the grey. Try and get the paper or net really tight and get the corners at a tight 90 degrees. Blow it all off with air gun if you have one..clean twice with lacquer thinner to remove the oil residue and use a 2 part varnish thinned to penetrate well. Use and angled 2 inch bristle brush and do both sides equally and quickly and not too thick. If you can coat it within 24 hours...take a 3m pad slightly abraid all with the paint stir stick...blow it off and recoat again with the 2 part thinned to whatever suits the conditions.After that dries hit it with 180 grit and use whatever varnish you wish 3-4 coats and you should be good for a couple of years depending where you are and the power of the sun, and maintain it. Try to get all your teak the same color (no stain, it is photo reactive) Test you color harmony with denatured alcohol and that will give you a pretty good idea if your wood colors are all within range. That is of course if your looking for natural vs using filler/stain. I know these are the most difficult parts to maintain but they really show off well. Bon Vente
Lodbrog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 23:29   #41

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:

Matt
To start with, the issue with varnish is it eventually (and sometimes that does not mean a long time) cracks and flakes etc.

Consider using one of the 'oil-varnishes' such at Cetol Marine, or Woodskin. After some 7 years now, I have never seen any wear other than slowly washing away as an oil would, but you get a deep, rich finish like a varnish.
Typically, in a fully exposed situation, you are looking at 2-3 years before a wipe over with a turpentine rag, and another coat or two is needed to keep the finish in pristine condition.

As to application, I use a small, long-bristled brush, working outside and inside slat by slat. No big deal - before you know it, you are waiting to put the next coat on.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 10:29   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

David B touched on a good point. Many consider a plastic as a varnish.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 14:55   #43

Boat: 1977 GulfStar 40 (Ted Hood)

If you like cetol then have at it. Personally I think the stuff is 2nd rate
Lodbrog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 20:40   #44

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodbrog1 View Post
If you like cetol then have at it. Personally I think the stuff is 2nd rate
Interested what you think is better?
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 02:41   #45
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

I’ve been using Epifanes with good results.
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish