Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2020, 21:55   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Small Boat Water Tank Ideas

I can see right now that I won't have enough water for many days of cruising.

Everything comes from bottled water on my boat (Bristol 27) even shower/baths in the cockpit (with a salt water pre-rinse/wet down at first)

I have removed the diesel from my boat and was thinking that space might be a good one for some sort of tank or bladder.

Has anyone install something like this on their boat?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 03:25   #2

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Small Boat Water Tank Ideas

I haven't done it myself but I have had a boat with a bladder tank, it worked fine. I would think this would be a great choice, easier to install than a hard sided tank. I believe the downside is sometimes it can be harder to get to the last drop ? Depending on how it sits. But it had to be better than bottled water. Wherever you plumb it to, I recommend a foot pump to move the water, so much better to have both hands free.
Old 24-08-2020, 03:52   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I made up fiberglass tanks to fit various paces including the keel. They all have large lids so they can be removed for cleaning. And I have painted them with a water based bitumen which has been approved for drinking water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0812 Water Tanks.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	221855  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 07:38   #4

Thanks for the ideas........
Old 24-08-2020, 07:53   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

A shortcut is to fit the engine space so that it can hold X number of 5 gallon water jugs. Yours should fit 4 or 5 of these easily. If big jugs do not fit, use 2 gallon ones - they use the same space better.

In our boat, that is your size, I fit 300 liters of water when we want to stay longer in nice Caribbean areas off-grid. Some of this water ends outside:

2 x 5 gallon jugs at each shrouds base (I use a plank fitted to stanchions to tie down the jugs.

2 x 5 gallon jugs in the cockpit just behind the bridge - with a large piece of board placed on them these are strong enough to walk on.

Warning - all polypropylene jugs on deck must be covered. Now I use small acrylic covers. This is due to polypropylene tanks quick death in UV sun.

Take care. Good luck watering up and enjoy the off-grid life later.

PS How much water can you carry now? With 300 liters we (me&mate) can last up to a month in a Caribbean place.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 08:35   #6

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

According to the sectional image for that B27 boat there already is a 50 gallon water tank.

Did that ever exist, has that been removed, can it be replaced?

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 08:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A shortcut is to fit the engine space so that it can hold X number of 5 gallon water jugs. Yours should fit 4 or 5 of these easily. If big jugs do not fit, use 2 gallon ones - they use the same space better.

In our boat, that is your size, I fit 300 liters of water when we want to stay longer in nice Caribbean areas off-grid. Some of this water ends outside:

2 x 5 gallon jugs at each shrouds base (I use a plank fitted to stanchions to tie down the jugs.

2 x 5 gallon jugs in the cockpit just behind the bridge - with a large piece of board placed on them these are strong enough to walk on.

Warning - all polypropylene jugs on deck must be covered. Now I use small acrylic covers. This is due to polypropylene tanks quick death in UV sun.

Take care. Good luck watering up and enjoy the off-grid life later.

PS How much water can you carry now? With 300 liters we (me&mate) can last up to a month in a Caribbean place.

b.
I haven't really tried to figure how much water. I usually have two cases of 24-32 count 16 oz water bottles and maybe 10-20 gallon jugs as well when I'm fully stocked up but my trips are only a few days

The water is for consumption, bathing, plus dish rinsing.

Last trip I just used what was there maybe 7 gallons and one case water plus maybe 2 gallons gas. 3 days; 70-80 miles spot to spot.

Also, I'll need some space for beer. So everything is a compromise I hear on a sailboat!

I like the 5 gallon jug idea. I'll see if I can put in a couple boards where the hole is below the engine position and mount the jugs in there.
Old 24-08-2020, 08:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
According to the sectional image for that B27 boat there already is a 50 gallon water tank.

Did that ever exist, has that been removed, can it be replaced?

It's a 20 gallon tank in the bow (part of the fiberglass construction) and it's about 3/4 full because the boat seems stern heavy to me unless I do this so I use it as ballast plus all my gallon jugs 10-20 are on the shelves in the V berth area. Split half and half

I am nearly 400 lbs light on ballast though due to the engine (a 352 lb Bukh 10 diesel) and associated equipment being removed. (engine, gear box, bronze prop shaft, muffler, diesel fuel tank, flange, stuffing box, controls, etc, etc)

This could explain the speed. It stayed at between 6.4-7.1 knots for maybe 3 hours on my trip North on Friday. It was a reach and I had the tide much of the way. Wind was 12 knots and up

Statistics

Hull type: Full keel
LOA: 27.2 feet
LWL: 19.75 feet
Beam: 8 feet
Draft: 4 feet
Displacement: 6,600 pounds
Designer: Carl Alberg
Water tank: 20 gallons
Fuel tank: 22 gallons
PHRF New England: 240
Motion comfort ratio: 28.87

https://sites.google.com/site/bristo...els/bristol-27
Old 24-08-2020, 09:15   #9

Boat: CLC Skerry

You might look into a camping supply store for clear plastic collapsible water jugs. They have spigots, collapse when not in use, and stow most anywhere. You could probably store a dozen or more of them in various places aboard, they serve as trim ballast depending on where you put them, you can see the water level in each one, and they take up virtually no space when empty.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 09:23   #10

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

I removed my stainless tank and replaced it with water bottles. So far no regrets. And it gave me access to chainplates and lots of storage space. I just have to remember where I stored all those bottles! I also eliminated the thru-deck fillers for water and diesel. If I switch to a compost toilet I can remove the waste thru-deck as well. The Herreshoff way. Of course he would have a cedar bucket. Come to think of it, I removed my sink and replaced it with a stainless steel pail. Another unnecessary thru-hull.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 09:29   #11

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Good idea, Rhubstuff. I have been using my hard plastic bottles, free, and leaving them empty and sealed as flotation!
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 10:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
I removed my stainless tank and replaced it with water bottles. So far no regrets. And it gave me access to chainplates and lots of storage space. I just have to remember where I stored all those bottles! I also eliminated the thru-deck fillers for water and diesel. If I switch to a compost toilet I can remove the waste thru-deck as well. The Herreshoff way. Of course he would have a cedar bucket. Come to think of it, I removed my sink and replaced it with a stainless steel pail. Another unnecessary thru-hull.
Thanks for the reminder about where they all are. I can store another 10-20 gallon jugs plus under the settees and along the center line.

I did this at first but didn't use them since I only sail 3-8 days at a time these days but it will be another good storage location for water, and canned good (beer and food) when I start cruising longer distances

I removed the hose from my sink also and it has the cover over it now. All 5 of my thruhull sea cocks are closed. Dish washing is done in a bucket in the cockpit
Old 24-08-2020, 10:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
You might look into a camping supply store for clear plastic collapsible water jugs. They have spigots, collapse when not in use, and stow most anywhere. You could probably store a dozen or more of them in various places aboard, they serve as trim ballast depending on where you put them, you can see the water level in each one, and they take up virtually no space when empty.
I'll check on those. Thanks.
Old 24-08-2020, 12:36   #14

I did some cruising on a 22ft boat years ago and carried water only in 20litre jugs. First had a hand pump (whale) then an immersible 12V pump on the end of a hose that could go through the top opening in any of the jugs and pump water to the galley sink.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 16:00   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I carry all my water in re-purposed half to one-gallon juice jugs and . Had 130 gallons while cruising. Nice thing was, you could always inspect the water for floaters, and if you topped up some jugs from a bad source, you hadn't messed up ALL your water. Also, it's easy to rinse out and transport gallon jugs, plus they fit under spigots easier. I don't like hefting around 5-gal water jugs.

Tags
boat, small boat, water