Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2018, 19:03   #1

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Slings And Propshafts Question

Like many Roberts designs, my prop shaft is protected within a half keel and the prop is nicely boxed in between the skeg and the rudder - all I have to do at haul out is mark on the sides where the slings should go.
What do you do to get the slings under an exposed shaft?
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 02:06   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Slings And Propshafts Question

Sorta the same; usually there is a spot between the aft end of the keel and where the propshaft exits the hull.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 02:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
... What do you do to get the slings under an exposed shaft?
Nothing - you avoid the exposed shaft (usually sling forward of it).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 11:55   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The best protection I've seen is horribly un-yachty: Place a 6-8" inch strip of red reflective tape on each gunnel that says "LIFT HERE" so the sling guys know exactly where to put them. Not so critical forward, but the aft one should be placed when you can actually LOOK at the boat and be certain of where the proper lift area is.

Whether it is colored tape, or a P-Touch label, or something decorative...your option. But if the area is clearly marked, at least you've got one problem out of the way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 12:05   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Like many Roberts designs, my prop shaft is protected within a half keel and the prop is nicely boxed in between the skeg and the rudder - all I have to do at haul out is mark on the sides where the slings should go.
What do you do to get the slings under an exposed shaft?
If your yard is relying on you to tell them where the slings should be placed, you might want to consider using a different yard.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 13:55   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
If your yard is relying on you to tell them where the slings should be placed, you might want to consider using a different yard.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 17:41   #7

Quote:
Interesting - how do your guys figure where to put the slings if you don't tell them - I'm genuinely curious because in this part of the world its quite a cooperative sort of operation in my experience.
Old 25-02-2018, 19:00   #8

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Interesting - how do your guys figure where to put the slings if you don't tell them
You're asking about haul-out using a straddle crane, such as a Travelift, right? Hence your reference to slings.

That's just one way to haul out a boat.

1. A straddle crane operator has to place slings to they support the boat and hold the boat so its waterline remains more or less horizontal.

2. A straddle crane operator chooses the number of slings (2, 3, ...) depending on the load being lifted and the size and shape of the hull.

3. Slings have to be placed where the hull is strong in compression. That generally translates to the location of bulkheads. Depending on the construction of the boat, the location of bulkheads might be determined by sounding the hull: in short tapping on the hull. Some boat yards will have a diver on call to sound the hull. Others might send a hand in a dinghy to sound the hull after it has been partially raised. Still others might depend on advice from the boat owner, construction drawings, or inspecting the boat interior long before the lift.
Old 25-02-2018, 20:33   #9

Boat: Islander 36

The yard I use uses a boathook, a guy pokes around down under — determines where the shaft is.
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 22:24   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Interesting - how do your guys figure where to put the slings if you don't tell them - I'm genuinely curious because in this part of the world its quite a cooperative sort of operation in my experience.
Here's some news for you- boat designs and measurements are not state secrets.
Old 26-02-2018, 18:11   #11

Quote:
Here's some news for you- boat designs and measurements are not state secrets.
I suspect you don't actually know, do you? Most respondents manage a reasonably informative answer in one sentence, based on their experience. In this part of the world we don't really do cookie cutter boats.
Old 26-02-2018, 18:15   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I suspect you don't actually know, do you? Most respondents manage a reasonably informative answer in one sentence, based on their experience. In this part of the world we don't really do cookie cutter boats.
Here yards have drawings for production boats. I suspect the same is true in your "part of the world" and the fact is that you don't know that. And your claim about cookie cutter boats is bullsh*t, BTW.
Old 26-02-2018, 18:23   #13

Lemme think - last time I hauled out there was my 38 yr old ketch, a 50 yr old halvorsen and an old fishing smack lined up with me so - no, I don't think the yard had drawings. But thanks for sharing your lack of knowledge with the class...
Old 26-02-2018, 18:36   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Here yards have drawings for production boats. I suspect the same is true in your "part of the world" and the fact is that you don't know that. And your claim about cookie cutter boats is bullsh*t, BTW.
Dunno about the cookie cutter thing, but I can tell you that here in Oz one finds a larger percentage of NON-production boats than one does in good ole SF bay, and drawings are not always available. I've been in quite a few boatyards here by now, and have seen none with a library of hull drawings. Many do use photos for subsequent liftings, but advice from owners is the method most often in use.

And you might just lay off the bullsh^t name calling, FB... it isn't becoming to you or your reputation as a contributor here. You can disagree without resorting to such expressions.

Jim
Old 26-02-2018, 18:42   #15

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Lemme think - last time I hauled out there was my 38 yr old ketch, a 50 yr old halvorsen and an old fishing smack lined up with me so - no, I don't think the yard had drawings. But thanks for sharing your lack of knowledge with the class...
I’m lucky. My 46 year old ketch came with drawings. The yard was VERY interested in them. I have had her shipped. The ships crew was VERY interested in the drawings even though they had a diver to inspect each boat’s sling locations.
It it definitely a cooperative effort. The yard does not want to mess up. The owner does not want that either.
There are landmarks on deck such as winches and so on that can be used to position the slings.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote