Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2005, 09:59   #1

"Sissy Bars"

I'm considering building and/or installing sissy bars or similar supports to make it safer to work around the mainmast.

Custom-made bars from a metal fabricator seem like they'd be very expensive, so I've been thinking about using 1" s.s stanchion tubing, with stanchion bases and railing hardware.

Has anyone here made these themselves? I don't know how to weld, so that isn't an option for me; they'll have to be mechanically assembled and suitable for a cambered cabintop. Not flat.

I'd appreciate some thoughts / suggestions about how to get or make these.

Thank you!
Old 06-03-2005, 10:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I would have thought getting a nice custom made/bent/fitted barrier would have been cheaper than stanchions fitted around. Those things aren't cheap and you still have to have a railing. I would seek a few metal workers to give you a quote.
The biggest concern isn't the safety railing however, it is how it is fitted to the deck. A one piece assembly is going to take stress over a larger area and thus give you greater support. A stauntion type assembly is going to have more movement and thus more stress in the deck attachment point of each individual stauntion. More chance of failure and not a secure feel. Plus it won't look as nice. Just my opinion.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:21   #3

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
kidney hoops

I looked at these "kidney hoops" at the Newport boat show a few years ago and concluded that I couldn't make them for what Ocean Marine Systems were asking. Go to http://www.oceanmarinesystems.com/o1_othersecrail.html and have a look for yourself. Scroll to the bottom of the page for a price list.
Jim Kane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 13:35   #4

sissy rails

Hi i think what you are referring to is mast pulpits this crew conainment area offering a chance to use bith hands without fear of tumbering overboard. For the pulpit to be comfortable it is imperative that it is not placed too close to the mast otherwise a crewman cannot get far enough away to operate a winch comfortably.Also when you haul a halyard by hand you usually lean away from the mast.You will find that the ideal distance away from the is 750mm and a height of 900 to 1000mm and should be of 25mm to 32mm tubing. Greg
ozskip is offline   Reply With Quote