Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 10:32   #1

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Simple Depth / Speed Gauges ?

My Starwind has a transducer and a speed sensor set up through the hull. However, whatever electronic device these were connected to is long gone.

I know that Faria makes a depth gauge but it comes wired to its own transducer. Does anyone know if there are simple gauges like that available that I could just plug these into?

All of our GPS and charts run on our phones and netbook, so it seems like a waste to spend the money for some kind of chart-plotter/fish-finder head unit just to see our depth and speed.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 21:44   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Raymarine, Garmin, Standard/Horizon and others all make simple Speed and Depth digital displays that can connect directly to the transducers without the need for a chart-plotter/fish-finder display.

They will most likely need their own transducers and probably won't work with the ones that you have installed. If you are lucky, the hole sizes will be a match, so it will just be removing the old ones and bedding in the new ones next time you haul out.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 23:10   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Yours are not quite as old as mine were. When I went to pull out the depth transducer it was water-logged. I replaced it with a good fishfinder. It's great for anchoring. It tells me what kind of bottom is there.

The speed transducer I just glassed over. The GPS tells me how fast I'm going and thats good enough for me!